Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride primarily on hard gravel and rock trails/roads. There is an occasional mud run, but it's not a primary focus. I know this is a utility atv, but I"d like it to corner the best it can. From what I understand I want to switch to radial tires with a directional tread to have the best bite. I'm looking at BH 3.0 and Vipr tires. Not sure if I want to stay with 12" wheels and 26" tires or go to 14" wheels with either 26" or 27" tires. Thoughts or feed back for me? My fear with going too big is sucking the power out, though I know I can go with up to a 1.7 shim and "purple" spring in the clutches to gain some snap back at the expense of top speed.

Reactions: lipcurl

·
Registered
183 Posts
i haven't herd much about the Big Horn 3.0's i know every one that ever asks about the Big Horn 2.0's or OG's get told to stick with the Big Horn OG's, and i'm sure plenty of others will chime in. i have some heavy mud tires on my grizz so i went ahead and did the shim mod and purple spring and that gave me better response and lower end than what i had before, even with just the purple spring and no shim it was still noticeably better, yes i did loose some of my very very high top end but i mainly ride is low to mid range any way so thats fine with me. their are plenty of threads on here breaking down the science behind modding your clutch so maybe spend some time reading over that to see what all you might want to do to get the best performance for your type of riding with the tires and other mods you might have.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I almost always recommend the bigger tires. But in this case, I do not.
Since you want the best handling you can, and since your riding is mainly dirt and rocky roads, I recommend you stay with the 26" tire.
Between the 3.0 and the Vipr, I would probably go with the Vipr's. The Maxxis Vipr has a directional tread pattern on both the front and rear tires (the 3.0 are directional on front tires only), which helps with clean out and traction in muddier conditions.

FYI: the Maxxis Vipr is not to be confused with the Kenda Viper. These are totally and completely different tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was leaning towards the Vipr, but the 26" tires use 12" wheels, are 26" inflated for a 7" side wall and have 28/32 tread. The 27" tires use 14" wheels, are 27.4" inflated for a 6.7" side wall with 1-1/32" tread.

For the BH 3.0 they do have 26" tires that use 14" wheels, are 26.4" inflated for a 6.2" side wall with 25/32 tread.

That puts the BH 3.0 at a smaller side wall which I would think would give better handling, but I do agree the tread on the Vipr's look much better for what I want. Also with the Vipr tread being directional for front and rear I'd think it would stick, vs the BH 3.0 only having directional on
the front which would mean the rear would be easier to slide out(a positive imo) I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but it's what I'm good at. Haha

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
You are way over thinking it....lol....but we all do it. I am one of the worst for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know why this just dawned on me. Most of the aftermarket wheels are all the same width/offset, so what do people do in regards to having wider rear tires. Do you just mount both sizes on the same width rims, or do you either go with 4 fronts or 4 rear tires?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Don't know why this just dawned on me. Most of the aftermarket wheels are all the same width/offset, so what do people do in regards to having wider rear tires. Do you just mount both sizes on the same width rims, or do you either go with 4 fronts or 4 rear tires?
We use the same width aftermarket rims regardless of different tires front to rear. You're way overthinking this. lol

I would stay away from 14" wheels. Your tires contribute to your suspension. When you take sidewall away, your taking some of your suspension away. The only way I would use 14's on a atv is if I had huge tires.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I had the 26" Vipr's on my last grizzly

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
To continue..
Trail grip was awesome. They stuck like crap on a blanket. I liked the look of them and they rode very smooth with zero wobbles or shakes at any speed.

HOWEVER.. in snow they flat out sucked. I totally blame the width of the back tires compared to the fronts. They were down right huge. Like WIDE.. they were more then 4" wider than the front tires and in the snow they are forced to cut their own path. I watched it in action many times, as that winter we had tremendous amounts of snow. The buddies 25" bighorns could run circles around me on the deep stuff. On Packed snow trails they were just fine.. The problem was only in the deep snow. I wished the rear width was closer to 10.5-11" not the massive 12+" they measured.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To continue..
Trail grip was awesome. They stuck like crap on a blanket. I liked the look of them and they rode very smooth with zero wobbles or shakes at any speed.

HOWEVER.. in snow they flat out sucked. I totally blame the width of the back tires compared to the fronts. They were down right huge. Like WIDE.. they were more then 4" wider than the front tires and in the snow they are forced to cut their own path. I watched it in action many times, as that winter we had tremendous amounts of snow. The buddies 25" bighorns could run circles around me on the deep stuff. On Packed snow trails they were just fine.. The problem was only in the deep snow. I wished the rear width was closer to 10.5-11" not the massive 12+" they measured.
What

What size tires were they, 26x9-12 and 26x11-12?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
They were 26".
9" fronts and I think the rears were 11" but I kinda forget. They're either 11's or 12's, whatever size maxzis sells as rears.

One thing I do know. The tears were dragster tire kinda wide.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I decided to go with EFX Motogrip in 26x9-14 and 26x11-14. They are a heavy 8ply tire, but I hear they handle the trails I go on very well. I'll post more pictures when I get em on.

Attachments

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Interesting looking tires. What that setup cost you and what general location are you trail riding?

·
Registered
760 Posts
My buddy has those on his ranger. They do decent all around. Not the best snow tire, but good in hardback. They've lasted a long time though and stood up to our abuse lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Interesting looking tires. What that setup cost you and what general location are you trail riding?
They were $960 from Rocky Mountain ATV. The trails I ride are in Maine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts