Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Grizzly SE. JBS milled sheave kit with weights, slug kit for clutch, with 26 inch Arisun Bruiser XT tires or 28 inch Zillas and my top speed is 37 mph. I added a purple spring last night and checked to make sure all the weights were in there correctly and everything else was just like every forum and YouTube video says it all needs to be.
Now I am just so frustrated that I’ve done all this work and added all these extras like Elkas stage 4, winch, skid plates, on and on and I’ve spent 10 times more time working on this damn ATV than I have had fun riding it. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
What do the clutch roller weights weigh? If they are too light, you'll max out rpm before top speed. I would start by reinstalling your stock weights and try it again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the 16 or 18 that came in the kit I ordered from him that he said I needed for my 28 inch zillas. But the 26 inch bruisers XT weigh the exact same and regardless the top end was never supposed to loose 20 mph.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could I have too much of the ultramatic grease in there? I followed his video and others to the T, watched them and read for months before even attempting. I am raking my brain trying to think of anything. Even if I put a finger more on the grease than anyone else did on a video that wouldn’t make it drop 20 plus mph?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Could I have too much of the ultramatic grease in there? I followed his video and others to the T, watched them and read for months before even attempting. I am raking my brain trying to think of anything. Even if I put a finger more on the grease than anyone else did on a video that wouldn’t make it drop 20 plus mph?
Too much grease can most definitely effect top speed. Add too much grease and lighter weights together and top speed can be very negatively effected.
With the clutch cover off and in neutral, rev the bike bike and watch the clutches operate. Does the belt go fully out in the primary and fully into the secondary.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m going to take the cover off and try that a little later today and let you know. Honestly my wife is frustrated also bc of the time I spent on it and me just being upset about it, so I’m doing random chores around the house to help.
Thanks for you help! You keep mentioned light weights. This is what was recommended. What size weights do you think I should have in it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just found the plastic container the weights came in from JBS. They are 16 gram Dr. Pulley

·
Registered
120 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought DR Pulley weights were grease less

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes but used as both, I followed what I have read to do, told and watched on videos. Not only from JBS Performance but several others.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes but used as both, I followed what I have read to do, told and watched on videos. Not only from JBS Performance but several others.
Too much grease, light weights, purple spring, all could knock down top end. The stock 700 weights are what, 20 grams? 18 would probably be best for you. I would put in the stock weights and put the stock spring back in and see if this fixes it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry guys I’m
New here but i have a 2008 grizzly 450 4x4 i was trying to pull my buddy’s sxs out of a pond i was in reverse with diff lock and 4x4 on and when i started to pull something popped and not I*t only drives forward and when I*t in the neutral position. Any info helps!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry guys I’m
New here but i have a 2008 grizzly 450 4x4 i was trying to pull my buddy’s sxs out of a pond i was in reverse with diff lock and 4x4 on and when i started to pull something popped and not I*t only drives forward and when I*t in the neutral position. Any info helps!!
Hi Zach, better if you made your own post in Eng. & Trans section & the guys can get onto helping you. :wink2:

Reactions: Pjniez

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
Sorry guys I’m
Welcome from Colorado.
Starting a new thread will keep us on track for your problem and bike. You may have broken the reverse gear in the transmission.

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
I just found the plastic container the weights came in from JBS. They are 16 gram Dr. Pulley
Is your bike achieving high r.p.m.'s?
Lighter weights do not react to high r.p.m.'s like heavy weights do, then the grease can block the weight travel at the outer end/edge of the primary weight channels reducing top speed.
Doing multiple mods between sides makes it tough to know what change caused a problem.
Do you have your stock primary sheave?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Ridgway, yes I know I shouldn’t of done so much at once. Well really I only did the slug kit and new milled JBS sheave with the weights he recommended and sent me in the kit. I just waited on some Grizzly tools I ordered to come in to do the purple spring.
I gained my low end back right away, but noticed I couldn’t go fast. So figured it was just bc I didn’t have the spring installed yet. Today was very disappointing when I realized changing the spring didn’t make an ounce of difference.
I do still have all my original parts.

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
I too learned the hard way about multiple C.V.T. mods at one time and had to start over.
I would leave the spring and slugs in and go back to the stock weights with all but a small spoon full of grease added.
The secondary spring controls belt slip from a higher than stock pulley ratio and slightly affects the up-shift and back-shift rates, let us now what your pulley ratio is now and after you go back to the stock weights.
With the cover off and before you remove the primary, run the engine in park to higher r.p.m.'s and see if the belt moves to the outer edge of the primary pulley. The weights may be too light to achieve full range of motion in the channels.

Reactions: Pjniez

·
Premium Member
10,667 Posts
Also, now that you have several mods. a signature helps us keep up with your machine configuration. The signature appears in each post you make.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts

JBS pushes Dr Pulley slider weights...If those are what you have did you installed them correctly?
Also JSB pushes using an entire tub of grease in the cvt $$$$$
If you must greeezzze it only use a half thimble full per channel.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Im guess weights are in wrong or 1 has flopped, or too much grease but that would have to be a lot of grease. Jack up back end and run in 2wd. Sheave should open and close smoothly and belt should rise all the way to top.
16 gram weights should still hit 50 mph + just take some time getting there. I went to 18 grams on mine with 843 cc much nicer for cruising on the trails

1 - 20 of 31 Posts