Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there. I am new to all of this. I have a few 4wheelers that I use for snow plowing. My 2011 grizzly 550 died on me at the beggining of our last storm and crippled my operation. It fired up fine and made it 4 miles through town to my first property. The guy running it got started and a few minutes later came and flagged me down saying it was dead in the water. Turns over just fine but wont fire. I checked the spark plug and it didn't look bad but didnt seem to be getting any spark. I put in a new plug and noticed it was getting very weak spark. Tried a shot of starting fluid and it wouldn't even fire that. Ended up trailering it home and now it is sitting in the shop. Any ideas out there? Coil, rectifier or stator maybe? Until this it hasn't displayed any issues. The machine only has around 1500 miles on it. The issue definitely seems to be electrical. I checked the ohm on the coil but i don't know what the normal parameters should be. I got a read out of 1.2 ohms between the two electrical connections (red/black and orange), and a read out of 20.25 kohms between the plug wire and the red/black wire connection. So now I am asking for advice/help before I give up and pay a shop an arm and a leg.
Thanks!

·
Registered
780 Posts
do you have a service manual? There should be a bunch of ignition system tests and specifications in the manual that could help you out. you can usually download one for a fee dollars or if your good at google searching, sometimes you can find a free download.

Reactions: ghsnow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't have a manual but that is on my radar to track down. Figured i'd see if anyone had similar issues that i could reference. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
10,662 Posts
You need a hot battery first.
I would look for a wiring problem, like a rub or loose connection causing a low voltage problem.
A few months ago my buddys 550 would not start one day. Turned out a battery connection was looooooose and the battery was not charging.
Charged the battery and tightened the connection and the problem is gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts