Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of Yamaha Grizzly LE wheels on CL and I'm really considering buying them. But I have a question in regards to how they could change my track width.

Currently I have ITP SS316 wheels that have a 5+2 offset...or at least thats what i've found looking online. If I were to buy the Grizzly LE wheels what are their offset and would it change my track width on my machine?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes your track would be about 4 inches Narrower, or what it was with stock wheels.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
For some reason I want to say the difference is only 2 inches, one inch per side. Makes the Grizz a tad wider and a little less tippy. Putting on the Yamaha rims would be putting it back to the stock set-up. Which IMHO isn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ransom,

Here is some good info posted by AZ08Grizz Wheel offset post#9

The 4th smiley bullet has info on the stock wheels.

Thanks for the link! My current setup is a little wide ( but never had an issue going through a 50 inch gate), but also very stable. I think if I went back to the LE wheels I might miss the stability I have right now. Its also a little confusing because the track width on my 2014 is already wider than previous Grizzly's so I'd have to figure that into affect also. I really like the looks of the LE wheels and before I bought the ITP's I have now I looked on CL for quite some time and never could find a set. But thats how it goes!

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
If you get the new S.E. wheels and it feels TIPPY, you can always lower it like this.....I think its called Slamming It!

I found one in blue so you can see what yours will look like. :rofl:
It's not fast, but its not tippy either.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you get the new S.E. wheels and it feels TIPPY, you can always lower it like this.....I think its called Slamming It!

I found one in blue so you can see what yours will look like. :rofl:
It's not fast, but its not tippy either.
I like it! But the real question is could we get that thing over Poughkeepsie?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For some reason I want to say the difference is only 2 inches, one inch per side. Makes the Grizz a tad wider and a little less tippy. Putting on the Yamaha rims would be putting it back to the stock set-up. Which IMHO isn't that bad.
I thought 4 inches seemed wide to me. I figured at most 2 or 3.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If your talking about the 16 se wheels, it looks like they might have a different offset compared to 15 & prior se wheels. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
I like it! But the real question is could we get that thing over Poughkeepsie?
I was thinking the the same thing about Poughkeepsie.
If we drag it to the base of the Wall, I'm sure we can pull it up.
Can you imagine being drug up Mineral Creek and the Poughkeepsie trail just to get to the Wall from the truck?

As for the wider wheel base, adding or subtracting an inch or two only changes the arc of the machine before it rolls over. It still goes over from the same angle of lean.
Maybe in a slide there is more forgiveness or reaction time from hitting something, but for going slow in a straight line over rock I can't think it matters much.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just measured the track width of mine. It measured approximately 50 inches. I used 2 2x8 boards running parallel down the sides of the machine to get my measurements. So if my wheels add 3 inches in width over stock and a 2014 is 60 mm wider than previous grizzly 700's, which 60mm is 2.36 inches a stock grizzly's track width pre 2014 is about 45? That seems narrow to me. I'm not a rocket scientist, but 5 inches in width seems like it would add a lot of stability.

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
Those of us that are not rocket scientist simply check it like this.
We know the test was good when the winch strap is pointed down.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just measured the track width of mine. It measured approximately 50 inches. I used 2 2x8 boards running parallel down the sides of the machine to get my measurements. So if my wheels add 3 inches in width over stock and a 2014 is 60 mm wider than previous grizzly 700's, which 60mm is 2.36 inches a stock grizzly's track width pre 2014 is about 45? That seems narrow to me. I'm not a rocket scientist, but 5 inches in width seems like it would add a lot of stability.
Yes, my stock 2007 with stock wheels and stock size Bighorns was 45" wide (outside to outside of rear tires) and it was very unstable on hillsides. Went to 49" wide and it made a huge difference.

Someone could very easily do a little geometry with a right triangle: with the hypotenuse leg being the rear tire width (use centerline width of rear tires since theoretically just before rolling over only the outside of the low side tire and the inside of the high side tire are touching the ground), you would have to know ahead of time at what angle you reach equilibrium for the Grizzly, up on it's side using an angle gauge, and then calculate the height of the vertical leg in inches. This would tell you in inches how high your tires on the high side could go compared to the low side tires before you reach equilibrium in turning over sideways.

The angle of equilibrium will remain the same but as the width increases so will the height before rollover, so it could be easily determined for various widths such as 45", 48", 49", 50", etc. at what height above ground your tire is when you reach equilibrium. May work up some examples, since you now have my curiosity up. Note: Those that have significantly altered their center of gravity will have a different angle of rollover and body position will affect c.g., but as long as rider's position remained centered and vertical it should have minimal affect on rollover angle for calculations.

edited: due to simplification of formula thus simpler explanation

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm interested to see what you come up.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'll post the results later in the day. I've already calculated the height by just guessing at the rollover angle of equilibrium at both 45 deg. and 50 deg., but I want to see exactly what my rollover angle of equilibrium is with an angle gauge before I post any numbers.

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
By the time we get this measured out for all the different center of mass positions the wheels will be gone.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ridgeway, what angle you think your at when your at equilibrium before rolling? I really don't have a good idea without just going out and measuring. and what's your tire widths, 26x? and your rear overall width?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Good to know that we have people who work at NASA on the site, lol.
Ransom, from memory, I think the original off set on my stock 700 wheels were like 5+1.25. Again, from memory, I thought that the front had a slightly different off set from the rear. Doesn't make sense to me and we know how my memory is. Killed to many brain cells. I can't remember if I read it on the site or I got it from ITP.

·
Premium Member
9,272 Posts
Ridgeway, what angle you think your at when your at equilibrium before rolling? I really don't have a good idea without just going out and measuring. and what's your tire widths, 26x? and your rear overall width?
I wouldn't know the angle but I bet its just past 45 degrees in that picture. I've had it leaned way over in other situations but was standing on the passenger foot rests to change the center line balance point. If I had a compass I could measure the winch strap or rack angle in the picture.
On stock wheels I'm 9" wide front and 12" wide rear, but the reports are the rears are a true 11"s wide. I've never measured the overall width because it never matter to me. You could probably add 2 inches to the stock width measurement to be very close.
I run 11 psi to control the sidewall flex at speed.
In my riding area any benefit from additional width on one trail is a problem on another trail. The width problem will stop further progress on a few trails, causing a wider machine to go around and not through/over an obstacle, but the narrower width doesn't stop progress.
Added to that, in snow a wider stance allows more snow under the machine. A couple inches may not be felt, but for those adding wider wheel offset and then going with spacers the width can be a game changer.
Then when in the river the narrower stance keeps the machine on top of larger rocks by not allowing the tires to straddle the rock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts