Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 grizzly 600 4x4 and ran into a problem I have no idea what it could be. My machine has the hardest time starting even with the choke on I have to pull start it and when it's on i press the throttle and it wants to bog out, I have to press it slowly so it doesn't bog out idk if my carburetor is dirty or my fuel I haven't drained the tank yet either pretty much troubleshooting

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
I bet a full tune-up will help, including adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was working fine, drove about 60km in trails, starts with pull start not my electric start tho, it use to just started acting up, I wish I can share a video of the issue

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Upload the video to youtube, then link it back here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sent my carburetor out to get cleaned I got it back and out it on myself and I thought forsure I had it figured out.....fail, still better then what it was but I came to realize I didnt have enough spark, even on a good battery its forsure my plug and I think my ignition coil too I have another 98 grizzly part out and I took that one tried it out, still no dice....I gotta bring it in to the shop, ran out of options

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drained the fuel and it was clean, I also checked air filter was clear, there's combustion just no fire lol probably something simple

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It also smells like its flooded idk if it's my choke I swapped it out and same problem, i noticed choke wasn't working properly, maybe it's my carburetor straight up I have another I didnt try yet

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
You got a bad Pulse Coil (Aka: Pickup Coil). Common part to fail on the 600.

Tell tale sign is it will start on pull cord but not on electric start. Everyone that I repaired, including my own, started like that. It will get worse, and soon it will not start at all.

I have replaced many of them on the 600. The eBay ones from RM Stator worked fine for me. The color of the wires are different, but coil is the same. If you got no spark when you install the new Pulse coil, it simply means the wires are backwards. Swap the wires. It'll work then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks I'll have to order one, hopefully haha with this stupid virus going around

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would anyone know what causes a bike to flood on its own couldn't start it yeatersay and I smelled nothing but gas, I didnt noticed any leaks and when I got it started holy man it sounded rough it was flooded to shit.....could choke cable be a issue on the carburetor I swapped it but same issue

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Dirt in carburetor under needle/seat, sticky needle/seat due to varnish build up from old gas, incorrectly adjusted floats....just to name a few most obvious.

I would pull the carb and give it a good cleaning just to be sure. Check float height and adjust if necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts