Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at picking up a 2004 grizzly 660 from someone, he says the starter relay is bad and it needs to be replaced, im pretty mechanical inclined but was posting to see if anyone else has some pointers to make sure i check and look at throughly before i make the purchase, thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Bring a starter relay with you to buy it , they're pretty cheap. If it starts you're good if not talk him down if you want to try to fix it. You can always return the part if you don't need to keep it.

Reactions: dylanross28

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
You can always short the relay main contacts with a wrench/screwdriver/etc...something metal. If the engine turns over, then you know it's nothing mechanically wrong with it.

You can also just bring a multimeter with you and test for power to the solenoid plug when you press the starter button. This will make sure the starter electrical circuit is working correctly.

On the 660, inspect the front and rear driveshafts for loose shafts. More importantly the front shaft as they are known for stripping out the splines on the engine end of the shaft.
Then grab both rear axles and try to shake the rear diff in the frame. Known issue with the 660 Grizzly to get loose here, sometimes breaking the duff case or frame mounts.

Reactions: dylanross28
1 - 4 of 4 Posts