Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this form post. But here it goes. 14 700 grizz 1,124k all stock put shims in 1.5mm belt looked fined now a have a chatter on deceleration never had it before sounds like it’s from the primary. And when going down hills the secondary makes a noise also. But I’ve been told that can be normal. And u can feel that noise through the cover

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
hey...Hermie...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

Does the engine braking say engaged (freewheel) while the decelerating?
Chattering can be driveline and suspension noise when decelerting hard or going down hill.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC. Did you just do the shims? If so, did you torque the nut with a good quality torque wrench? I ask because I along with others have made the mistake of using the “it’s tight enough” method. When that nut backs off, you’ll can get an intermittent grinding noise. Don’t ride it until you have verified this is not the issue. Damage from this mistake can cost you some $$$

·
Registered
60 Posts
From SE Michigan, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know the funny noise theses thinks make going down hills. It’s. Odd. I’ve done a few off theses for my buddies all was well including his we did the whole clutch kit springs rollers and shims. No issues from his. Only mine. And the nut is Torqued with splinlies showing. The only thing that I didn’t do was scuff up the cvt where the belt rides nor did a belt. With a 1153 it should be ok. But here’s a kick to the nuts. One of my buddies thought he’d be funny and run my throttle stopper to half throttle. I never found out till after the ride. Plus I was wondering why I kept running out of motor. (But it’s been like 5 months since I went ridding last plus I just put my shims in that week) so I thought they may have taken way some top end. And how jacked it up all 4 tires and ran it wot a few times and now noise seems to have gone away? Possible rollers didn’t go all the way up the (ramps)? I’m baffled

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update was good till low range. And a wheelie or two. Noise kinda came back well I guess I’ll look in to this again. Sho

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found three possible answeres 1 belt was hitting cover slightly and belt is like 30mm worn 2 surfaces look glazed 3 plate and sleeve have this 4 marks like there not square. Any input on theses pictures would be great. Could be normal or not tuqured right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I'm fairly good with these C.V.T.'s but can you identify the parts in those pictures? there's a couple things you can clear up.
Also, this is a good example to count the ration before and after a mod. If there is an unexpected change, there is a problem to find.
As for your buddy and the throttle, top off his tank with diesel and see how he likes poor performance. Around here someone doing something like that and you don't have the balls when needed can get you hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
My Grizzly did the same thing... you have to be very sure you have the sheave fully seated and properly torqued. Also, for some reason, I can't fit more than 1.5mm shim in mine or it rubs the cover. Weird.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
My Grizzly did the same thing... you have to be very sure you have the sheave fully seated and properly torqued. Also, for some reason, I can't fit more than 1.5mm shim in mine or it rubs the cover. Weird.
That is strange. Never had a problem on my 10 or 14.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I'm fairly good with these C.V.T.'s but can you identify the parts in those pictures? there's are couple things you can clear up.
Also, this is a good example to count the ration before and after a mod. If there is an unexpected change, there is a problem to find.
As for your buddy and the throttle, top off his tank with diesel and see how he likes poor performance. Around here someone doing something like that and you don't having the balls when needed can get you hurt.
Calm down on the throttle limiter joke. It's nothing more than a little innocent fun, and one that does not cause no harm or fowl. A 8mm (or 10mm) wrench and Philip's head screwdriver (both of which are in the factory tool pouch under your seat) fixes it in 10 seconds. This is worth no more than a laugh between friends.....not a harmful act to either the person themselves or their machine.

Putting diesel in a guys tank like you're suggesting or doing anything else that can cause major headache (or possible damage), that can cause down time and money to repair is down right wrong. That is no longer a joke. That is damaging someone else's property and is deserving of a beat down.

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
269 Posts
Found three possible answeres 1 belt was hitting cover slightly and belt is like 30mm worn 2 surfaces look glazed 3 plate and sleeve have this 4 marks like there not square. Any input on theses pictures would be great. Could be normal or not tuqured right.
Sure looks like the nut was loose at some time, those marks are even inside the centre of the sheave, almost like something was hung up when torqued down & then shifted when run & come loose.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Mine touched with a 1.5 mm shim too. It made a horrible metal on metal rubbing noise. Turned out my primary clutch cover had a few pointy high spots from the aluminum casting process. Grinded them down and I was good to go.

Reactions: Grumpy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That nut was super tight! Almost wondered if I over toqued it. Anyone ever have both shim super stuck together almost like they weld together. I’m tossing around maybe 1mm shim and new belt. Plus I also cleaned and regreased the cvt. And shaved where the belt was hitting the plastic cover. Or toss both shim in and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
That nut was super tight! Almost wondered if I over toqued it.
Make sure that the washer is centered on the shaft. Do use a torque wrench. Can save you $$$$.
I've seem those tattoos on camplates and sleeves before on my machines. I can guarantee 100% that the nut is installed and torque properly. Not sure what causes it. Just guessing maybe a slight amount of oil,grease grit is being hammered in to the surfaces. There is a lot going on and plenty of heat in the primary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts