Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searches on how to access the CVT on a Wolverine. The best I found, and I am using the term "best" loosely, was a link to a YouTube video about doing something with the clutch, where the machine was already stripped down - so not very helpful.

Today we decided to practice getting to the CVT, and I took pictures along the way.
NOTE: You do NOT "have to" remove the bed. It would make it easier, but it is not required. We didn't want to remove some extra accessories on the bed so we didn't remove the bed. We were practicing what this would be like to change the belt on the trail, so we were doing it in a minimalist fashion.

1. Take the seat out. Lower AND upper.
2. Take the center console out. All of it.
3. Take the plate under the seat out. To do that you have to remove that rubber ring thing. You might also choose to disconnect your seat belt from its upper mount to help get stuff out of the way.
4. Take the side panels behind the driver side door off.
5a. Remove the rubber flange from around the roll cage at the back of the seat to access the bolt for 5b (see picture).
5b. Remove the air duct.
6. Remove the bolts from the CVT cover. You'll want a 10" socket extension.
7. Remove the CVT cover.

NOTES:
I managed to wiggle my CVT cover out of there. It was NOT easy. I pushed that CVT intake tube up, creased it a bit. Make sure it's warm - if it is cold it might crack. If I ever do this again I'm going to remove the bed to get to that hose, and replace the fasteners at the top with heavy zip ties, or a hose clamp, or something.

The sway bar gets in the way big time. There is tension on it so I would have needed to jack up the back end to release the tension to disconnect it. I didn't want to do that because I was simulating a trail repair. But, if you push that CVT hose out of the way and rotate the back end of the CVT cover WAY up, you can JUST squeeze that thing out between the frame and the sway bar. And get it back in, too. Again, it's not easy. Be patient, wiggle it a lot.

After you get the cover off, the rest of it is just like a Grizzly. You can find plenty of HowTo guides for Grizzly clutch stuff elsewhere.

Attachments

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Wow!! That looks like a gigantic pain in the azzzzz.. Good thing Yami isn't like popo in the "smoking belts" department.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow!! That looks like a gigantic pain in the azzzzz.. Good thing Yami isn't like popo in the "smoking belts" department.
I agree, big PITA.

FYI, I've put 5000+ miles on a belt on a RZR 800, no problem.
My friend Graig burned a belt in his Grizzly at the Paiute ATV Trail system.
I burned a belt in my Grizzly hauling gravel for Dept of Natural Resources.
Full disclosure: Graig is 385 lbs and was not using low gear on the hill climbs, and the belt I burned was a Dayco that someone else had installed.

But still, Polaris has the bad reputation for belts but I've seen more of them destroyed in Grizzlies.

Then again I don't drag race or do sand dunes all out on a cold belt, either. Lots of people blow their RZR belts doing idiot things.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thanks for the great documentation of the process @Scoundrel. That looks like quite a task. I haven't done anything other than wire my winch on the Wolverine. From what you have shown here, it appears to be "serviceable" but definitely not "service-friendly!"

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's not something I'd want to do regularly. Graig helped, and it really drove home that he needs to be cautious and use low range for hills.

It took us about 2:30 to disassemble and reassemble. We didn't actually change the belt. Add another 20 mins for that. Now that we've done it once, the second time would be faster.

·
Premium Member
7,929 Posts
Hey..Scoundrel...Nice write up!!

How about posting the diameter of the primary and secondary sheaves? And while your at it could maybe make us some pizzas? I like collecting these spec's and pizza.

Reactions: okbear

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey..Scoundrel...Nice write up!!

How about posting the diameter of the primary and secondary sheaves?
Thanks!

I'd be happy to! All I need is a time machine.

Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
7,929 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
WOW. Do this on the trail? I am not sure I could do it in the shop. This was the best instructions I have seen on any site.
Thanks, ATV SAM

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not something I'd WANT to do on the trail, but it's not that bad. Just a bunch of screws and plastics to come out/off, and the time it takes to do it.
Have not needed to do it yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts