Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, name is Mike and I'm from Canada. My daughter bought a 2018 Yamaha Kodiak 450 EPS (without my help, could you imagine that ) anyways, dad duties are to help with accessories and maintenance. So my question is, does anyone have that similar model and was wondering if you could tell or show me were the winch pre wiring is on this ATV?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,381 Posts
Hey..MDG3..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

No pre wiring on a Yamaha.
The necessary wiring comes with the winch
Buying one of these wire leads Makes for a cleaner installation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey..MDG3..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

No pre wiring on a Yamaha,

The necessary wiring comes with the winch

Buying one of these wire leads Makes for a cleaner installation.

Thanks reogem for the link!! That's the first time I've seen any wiring of that type from any website but I'm just starting to search this week. Thanks.

My daughter was told it is pre wired for a winch by the manufacturer and the dealer wanted $600 cnd to install a winch, which seems ridiculous on a pre wired atv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,381 Posts
To see those pre-wired look for 2 Heavy gauge wires running from the battery to a relay and two wires running down by the winch mount.

It would also be a couple of wires running to a switch on the handlebars. There would also be two wires one of which would run to the key the other would run to ground that would energize the relay. That's what the little wiring harness does did I give you the link to

That's what I would consider winch pre-wiring.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks for the info. I'll try and locate those wires when I see the atv next time.

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Welcome to GC from Tn. I have had several Yamaha ATVs and none of them were pre wired for winches unless it came with one and those were dealer installed. They are fairly simple to install just watch some Youtube videos.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Welcome from Missouri, congrats to your daughter on her new ride. Have fun and be safe!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to GC from Tn. I have had several Yamaha ATVs and none of them were pre wired for winches unless it came with one and those were dealer installed. They are fairly simple to install just watch some Youtube videos.

Thanks jvictory1974 for the welcome from Tn, maybe they are dealer pre wired, not too sure. That was from what the salesman said, and I know don't trust any salesman.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome from Missouri, congrats to your daughter on her new ride. Have fun and be safe!!!:rocker:

Thanks Blklab for the welcome from Missouri, I'll make sure to do that, cheers.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Thanks jvictory1974 for the welcome from Tn, maybe they are dealer pre wired, not too sure. That was from what the salesman said, and I know don't trust any salesman.

then perhaps you should have the salesman show you the wires. 😉 and since it was a condition of sale, if it's not there, tell 'em to make it right. Might get the winch mounted for free or a reduced price. Might make a salesman actually READ the sales literature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome

then perhaps you should have the salesman show you the wires. 😉 and since it was a condition of sale, if it's not there, tell 'em to make it right. Might get the winch mounted for free or a reduced price. Might make a salesman actually READ the sales literature.
Man that would be great if that works. It's worth a try, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 Kodiak 450 EPS, and it was somewhat pre-wired... but my memory fails me and I can't remember the details. I do recall having to search hard for some wires which were zip tied with the wires behind the headlight or between the headlight and the winch mount area. I think the plug for the winch control was in there, and I think the battery wiring was already in place and was just tied up underneath too... I wish I could remember better.

When I got my Kodiak it came with a free Warn winch uninstalled (some Costco deal) as well as the winch mount. The instructions given had the wiring details, but I have long ago lost my set of instructions. The warn kit contained everything needed with what was already on the quad somewhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2018 Kodiak 450 EPS, and it was somewhat pre-wired... but my memory fails me and I can't remember the details. I do recall having to search hard for some wires which were zip tied with the wires behind the headlight or between the headlight and the winch mount area. I think the plug for the winch control was in there, and I think the battery wiring was already in place and was just tied up underneath too... I wish I could remember better.

When I got my Kodiak it came with a free Warn winch uninstalled (some Costco deal) as well as the winch mount. The instructions given had the wiring details, but I have long ago lost my set of instructions. The warn kit contained everything needed with what was already on the quad somewhere.
I'll definitely check that out next time I see the ATV, Thanks for the info, chuckufarlie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Found this poking around, not sure if it applies to the 750 as well??
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Your Kodiak 450 is pre-wired from the factory for a seamless, trouble-free installation of the Front Winch Complete Kit. This kit comes preassembled with the Vantage 2000 Winch by WARN®, contactor, and wiring already mounted and ready to bolt onto your Kodiak 450. Wiring of the handlebar-mounted switch is already set-up for a complete integration solution— a truly seamless winch install! No additional accessories are required to complete the winch kit installation This “Must Have” accessory is a hand-picked and essential starting point when building your ultimate vehicle

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 2018 kodiak se and I know the 18 grizzly also were pre wired for winch.
It was a 30 min install

Edit:
I should clarify, prewire for winch on a yamaha is not the heavy wires connecting the winch and contractor together nor the heavy wires to the battery, nor the handle bar switch.
Prewired only means the accessory wire under the hood has 2 insulated female bullet connectors giving you 2 switched accessory leads by means of a "Y" pigtail wire that will come in a little bag with your owners manual. . The yamaha branded warn winch from the dealer comes with a wire pigtail that plugs directly into the accessory wire

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2018 kodiak se and I know the 18 grizzly also were pre wired for winch.
It was a 30 min install

Edit:
I should clarify, prewire for winch on a yamaha is not the heavy wires connecting the winch and contractor together nor the heavy wires to the battery, nor the handle bar switch.
Prewired only means the accessory wire under the hood has 2 insulated female bullet connectors giving you 2 switched accessory leads by means of a "Y" pigtail wire that will come in a little bag with your owners manual. . The yamaha branded warn winch from the dealer comes with a wire pigtail that plugs directly into the accessory wire

I think my 2016 Grizzly 700 (708 engine) had the same winch rocker switch pig tail mentioned above. The heavy wire for the Warn winch was in the box with the winch and solenoid (aka contactor). Took me way long than a half hour, (I may be slow, but I sure am slow) but my install looks almost like it came from the manufacturer. I’m pretty happy with how I got the solenoid mounted under the “hood” (actually way back by the gear selector).

Have fun installing the neat stuff on the new bike, myself, always enjoy setting up a new bike.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think my 2016 Grizzly 700 (708 engine) had the same winch rocker switch pig tail mentioned above. The heavy wire for the Warn winch was in the box with the winch and solenoid (aka contactor). Took me way long than a half hour, (I may be slow, but I sure am slow) but my install looks almost like it came from the manufacturer. I’m pretty happy with how I got the solenoid mounted under the “hood” (actually way back by the gear selector).

Have fun installing the neat stuff on the new bike, myself, always enjoy setting up a new bike.
Yup, the 16-18 708 kodi/Griz for sure have that accessory wire.
Mine too looks factory, contactor mounts to rear of winch mounting plate, winch on plate, unbolt top 2 skid plate bolts to make life easier, skid winch/plate into place, 4 bolts, then reattach skid plate. Run wires up to battery from contactor, mount handle bar switch, feed switch wire down bars and to the contactor... Connect big wires to battery and test winch.
Dealer wanted 100+tax to install the free winch... No thank you... Lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts