Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. New this Spring and just picked up my 2nd Yamaha Grizzly, a 2018 700 EPS (came from a 2007 Griz 450 which was my first ATV ever). Loving the upgrade after 11 years on my original Griz! After 1 month, I've got 600 miles on it already, been a great spring thus far. There were a lot of things I wanted to do to my old 450 but once I decided that, I didn't want to spend more money on it, so I waited. So here's what I've done thus far on the 18 in the last month since I got it. Installed the Following:

Elka Stage 3 Shocks all around.
MSA 'M33 Clutch' Wheels 12" with Blue MSA center cap star to match the blue Griz.
Maxxis Vipr tires 26".
Warn ProVantage 2500-S With Synthetic Rope.
Warn ProVantage Hawse Fairlead #94243.
Factor55 ProLink XTV Shackle Mount (Matching Blue).
Line-X Front and Rear rack.
Moose Prospector Front Storage Trunk (Installed on the rear rack).
RotoPax 2 Gal Gas installed on top of the Moose Prospector Trunk.
Yamaha Handguards (Matching Blue).

Let me know if you have any question on the upgrades. Happy to give some feedback!

Attachments

Reactions: geerig and RansomP

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Wow, nice looking machine! Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, nice looking machine! Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'm loving the boost in power vs my old 450. The EPS is huge too!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Looks great

Reactions: Stargate

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Good looking ride and nice choice of mods!!

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Welcome from Missouri enjoy your new ride and be safe! And that is one good looking machine I really like the Blue..

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
welcome from maine

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Nice bike! How do you like the Maxxis Viprs?

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
253 Posts
@Stargate,

Welcome from Central New York!

Nice look'n Grizzly! I really like what you've done to it! I'm envious of those shocks! Love the color too (same color as my 2017!) ;-)

How/where did you get the Yamaha hand guards? I can't find them on Yamaha's accessory page for the '16 to '18 generation Grizzlies.

I bet the Line-X would probably hold up better than the factory finish on the racks since Line-X is designed to take abuse in the beds of pickup trucks. My rear cargo rack was in rough condition from the previous owner's Quad Boss soft bag/seat cargo combo. I recently spoke to our local Line-X shop and got an over-the-phone quote of $350 to do my rear rack. They guy said the factory finish might be powdercoated and that he'd have to have it all removed before applying the Line-X product. Plus he said that there would be a lot of waste doing the rack. So, I'm curious if my local shop was ripping me off and/or just didn't want to do it. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to get Line-X applied to your front and rear racks?

Lastly, I'm curious what you think of the Vipr tires on your Grizzly as well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Maxxis Vipr and Line-X

@Stargate,

Welcome from Central New York!

Nice look'n Grizzly! I really like what you've done to it! I'm envious of those shocks! Love the color too (same color as my 2017!) ;-)

How/where did you get the Yamaha hand guards? I can't find them on Yamaha's accessory page for the '16 to '18 generation Grizzlies.

I bet the Line-X would probably hold up better than the factory finish on the racks since Line-X is designed to take abuse in the beds of pickup trucks. My rear cargo rack was in rough condition from the previous owner's Quad Boss soft bag/seat cargo combo. I recently spoke to our local Line-X shop and got an over-the-phone quote of $350 to do my rear rack. They guy said the factory finish might be powdercoated and that he'd have to have it all removed before applying the Line-X product. Plus he said that there would be a lot of waste doing the rack. So, I'm curious if my local shop was ripping me off and/or just didn't want to do it. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to get Line-X applied to your front and rear racks?

Lastly, I'm curious what you think of the Vipr tires on your Grizzly as well.
Nice bike! How do you like the Maxxis Viprs?

Thanks for the kind words!

Maxxis Vipr: I say all this with 4 rides and 600 miles under my belt. I am still fine tuning what tire pressure to ride at and I may tune the Elka shocks too.
But the Vipr's have ALL THE GRIP. Like so much grip its harder to break the rear tires free in a drift, corner, or aggressive start when I compare to my old 450 Grizz with Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 having much less HP. They track well and hook up well, power to the ground for sure. Maxxis advertizes them as created for SxS. As such, I feel like they have a stiffer sidewall than the BH 2.0. Still 6 ply rated but I feel stiffer which could lead to a slightly stiffer ride on a "light ATV like the Griz vs. a SxS. But Its tough to say if its caused by the tires or the Exla shocks Im fine tuning.
I have not run across any mud puddles this season to test, been on pretty dry trails but I suspect it will be as good as or better than my BH 2.0 on my 450 in mud, but time will tell. They do well on pavement when driving through town as they have a large contact patch. I think I have one that is either unbalanced or not perfectly round. On pavement I an feel one of them is creating a bounce/ vibration. But I had that in a new car a few years back. I have not had a dealer look at that yet. I feel its going to be tough to diagnosis. Its not bad, and is only noticeable in pavement. But I don't feel like this should be held against the tire specifically.

Line-X: It was more expensive than I hoped for, to do both front and back they quoted me $250 total. I negotiated them down to $225. But they regreted it after they finished, there was much more waste then they anticipated (they had done them before for other customers). They said they were going to rough up the racks before applying but not remove the original factory coat. If there is rust, I think they have to remove that but my racks were new. But I feel like they wouldn't go below $250 again after the extra sprayed waste. I used the Line-X in Bow NH. You can always price shop from the few dealers in driving distance. I had 3 within 45 min of me.

Handguards: No other dealer could find those either. Moms in Manchester NH had them in stock I am guessing for years. They had them installed on the machine in the showroom which I bought. I checked with another Yamaha dealer, they had no idea about them! So they must be years old, good thing the Yamaha Blue doesn't change from year to year!

Feel free to ask any more questions!

·
Registered
937 Posts
That's a great looking Griz! I really like your rear box with the RotoPax. Does the lid of the box nicely support the fuel pack or is it pushing the limits of the lid? Any trouble with the hinge on the box when opening with the fuel full and mounted?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a great looking Griz! I really like your rear box with the RotoPax. Does the lid of the box nicely support the fuel pack or is it pushing the limits of the lid? Any trouble with the hinge on the box when opening with the fuel full and mounted?
Thanks! Much appreciated! So far no issues with the lid. But 2 gal of gas is heavy. I suspect it won't last forever. Right now its going well including the hinge but only have 600 miles on it so its still new. When the RotoPax is full and I have the truck open, I do feel like its a lot of stress on the hinge. A nice strap might help. When closed, it seems to handle the weight okay. I got that trunk, a front specific one, as its lower than all the rear ones. Easy to see over when turning around. It is a bit skinny side to side, but I don't need much space inside. It was not as easy to mount the RotoPax to it as I thought. I installed metal braces in the lid to spread out the load.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts

Maxxis Vipr: I say all this with 4 rides and 600 miles under my belt. I am still fine tuning what tire pressure to ride at and I may tune the Elka shocks too.
But the Vipr's have ALL THE GRIP. Like so much grip its harder to break the rear tires free in a drift, corner, or aggressive start when I compare to my old 450 Grizz with Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 having much less HP. They track well and hook up well, power to the ground for sure. Maxxis advertizes them as created for SxS. As such, I feel like they have a stiffer sidewall than the BH 2.0. Still 6 ply rated but I feel stiffer which could lead to a slightly stiffer ride on a "light ATV like the Griz vs. a SxS. But Its tough to say if its caused by the tires or the Exla shocks Im fine tuning.
I have not run across any mud puddles this season to test, been on pretty dry trails but I suspect it will be as good as or better than my BH 2.0 on my 450 in mud, but time will tell. They do well on pavement when driving through town as they have a large contact patch. I think I have one that is either unbalanced or not perfectly round. On pavement I an feel one of them is creating a bounce/ vibration. But I had that in a new car a few years back. I have not had a dealer look at that yet. I feel its going to be tough to diagnosis. Its not bad, and is only noticeable in pavement. But I don't feel like this should be held against the tire specifically.

Line-X: It was more expensive than I hoped for, to do both front and back they quoted me $250 total. I negotiated them down to $225. But they regreted it after they finished, there was much more waste then they anticipated (they had done them before for other customers). They said they were going to rough up the racks before applying but not remove the original factory coat. If there is rust, I think they have to remove that but my racks were new. But I feel like they wouldn't go below $250 again after the extra sprayed waste. I used the Line-X in Bow NH. You can always price shop from the few dealers in driving distance. I had 3 within 45 min of me.

Handguards: No other dealer could find those either. Moms in Manchester NH had them in stock I am guessing for years. They had them installed on the machine in the showroom which I bought. I checked with another Yamaha dealer, they had no idea about them! So they must be years old, good thing the Yamaha Blue doesn't change from year to year!

When I was looking for tires, the Viprs never showed up on my radar and I've never looked at them before seeing your post. But, I love the way the they look! And the traction sounds incredible! Hopefully you can get the ride figured out by playing around with tire pressure and adjusting the Elkas. I figured the sidewalls would be pretty stiff since they are supposed to be UTV tires. I bet they are kind of heavy too. Of course my Pit Bull BF2.5s are pretty heavy too!

That's a great price for getting Line-X on both of your racks! I'm good for now. My front rack was in good shape and I ended up buying a new rear one for about $130. But, I'll definitely check around if/when they get roughed up again.

That's great that your had some leftover hand guards! I don't understand why Yamaha would stop making them. My guess is it is because there are plenty of aftermarket options. But still, I bet the fit is pretty nice! I haven't bought any hand guards yet. But, I plan to in the fall when it gets cold again.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Welcome 2 GC, nice ride.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

When I was looking for tires, the Viprs never showed up on my radar and I've never looked at them before seeing your post. But, I love the way the they look! And the traction sounds incredible! Hopefully you can get the ride figured out by playing around with tire pressure and adjusting the Elkas. I figured the sidewalls would be pretty stiff since they are supposed to be UTV tires. I bet they are kind of heavy too. Of course my Pit Bull BF2.5s are pretty heavy too!

That's a great price for getting Line-X on both of your racks! I'm good for now. My front rack was in good shape and I ended up buying a new rear one for about $130. But, I'll definitely check around if/when they get roughed up again.

That's great that your had some leftover hand guards! I don't understand why Yamaha would stop making them. My guess is it is because there are plenty of aftermarket options. But still, I bet the fit is pretty nice! I haven't bought any hand guards yet. But, I plan to in the fall when it gets cold again.
The weight of the Viprs is lighter than expected. It was a bit more than my old BH 2.0 but not by much. Couldn't find the specs from Maxxis so I found some elsewhere online, don't remember where. But I think they started (front tires) in the mid 20lbs while the BH 2.0 we're starting in the low 20lbs if I remember correctly. I was surprised. I wish I would have weighed them when they arrived at my house but I didn't.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wo Yeah!

Dude, that is one sweet Yamahammer! That thing has just the right look, as in Don't Mess With Me! Love the wheel/ tire combo. As far as the handgrips go, the folks that are looking for some might be able to find Powermadds that match up. They have lots of colors. Enjoy that Grizz, she's fine!!:surprise:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dude, that is one sweet Yamahammer! That thing has just the right look, as in Don't Mess With Me! Love the wheel/ tire combo. As far as the handgrips go, the folks that are looking for some might be able to find Powermadds that match up. They have lots of colors. Enjoy that Grizz, she's fine!!:surprise:
Thanks! The wheels were a risk, couldn't see them in person anywhere local. Had to order just from picts online. I dismissed them at first but every other one I was drawn to (with matching yamaha blue, was 14in, and I wanted to stay 12in. But I am SOOOO glad I went with these. They make me smile every time I see them! And they are stronger than many per the load rating. Win Win.

I also saw Powermadds and they do have a matching blue and many other colors. Fortunately, I got lucky with these Yamaha Brand ones being in stock regardless of them being years old. They are solid to, connector is a thick metal bracket, doesn't move or vibrate at all.

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hi all. New this Spring and just picked up my 2nd Yamaha Grizzly, a 2018 700 EPS (came from a 2007 Griz 450 which was my first ATV ever). Loving the upgrade after 11 years on my original Griz! After 1 month, I've got 600 miles on it already, been a great spring thus far. There were a lot of things I wanted to do to my old 450 but once I decided that, I didn't want to spend more money on it, so I waited. So here's what I've done thus far on the 18 in the last month since I got it. Installed the Following:

Elka Stage 3 Shocks all around.
MSA 'M33 Clutch' Wheels 12" with Blue MSA center cap star to match the blue Griz.
Maxxis Vipr tires 26".
Warn ProVantage 2500-S With Synthetic Rope.
Warn ProVantage Hawse Fairlead #94243.
Factor55 ProLink XTV Shackle Mount (Matching Blue).
Line-X Front and Rear rack.
Moose Prospector Front Storage Trunk (Installed on the rear rack).
RotoPax 2 Gal Gas installed on top of the Moose Prospector Trunk.
Yamaha Handguards (Matching Blue).

Let me know if you have any question on the upgrades. Happy to give some feedback!
Absolutely beautiful machine! Looks great. Though I'll admit, I'm a sucker for the blue ones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts