Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how often you all use Low gear vs High Gear.

When I first got my grizz I never used low gear other than for loading it into the back of my truck up the ramps. Now that I put better tires on it, and I am a lot more brave with water/mud, before I even get into the water/mud I will toss it into low gear. It seems like the engine hardly is working in low gear and I have tons of torque. When in high gear it seems like the bike has to work so much harder to keep it moving, but when you switch it to low, it grabs and wants to go RIGHT NOW!

How often do you use high gear and low gear?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Do you ride lots of twisty and turny mud trails? I do a fair amount of flat straight trail / grid road driving. Typically speeds can average around 50-60km/h.......What is top speen in Low, I have never really tried it on open grid road.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I use low just about any time I'm doing any serious climbing (up or down) or going over very uneven and/or slick terrain. High pretty much everywhere else.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Pretty much like Dizgriz.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I only use low when im in mud or crossing the rivers.. i almost never use low.. i do use it when pulling people out..

·
Ron
3,076 Posts
I use low probably 75%of the time since I went to bigger tires.

·
RIP Mike Mayho
3,703 Posts
I used to use low more because I liked the torque coming out of corners but since I had my clutch done no real need to.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Low 90% of the time..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The % that a lot of you use low kinda suprises me. Considering I would say that maybe 15-20% of my riding MIGHT use low. I need to get in the habit of using it more often. Less wear and tear on the belt im sure, plus MUCH easier on the motor. Oh and yes using low for pulling someone out is a great idea, but most of the time if I have to winch someone out. I wont even pull them out under motor power, typically I will put the grizz in Neutral and let the winch do all the work (holding the brakes of course)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't use low that much, just when I'm somewhere extremely rough or steep, like going slow and crawling over big logs and rocks or pulling something. But if you use high when you should be using low, then it's hard on your centrifugal clutch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My low gear

Mostly use low for anything posing a challenge like mud and rocks. Depending on how steep it is I might use low. I do remember some site saying that if you are traveling for long periods of time 10 minutes or more at a speed lower then 10mph even with bursts to 15mph that you should be in low for belt strain/slip reasons.

D

·
0 Posts
Only time i use low is slow speed technical stuff, steep hill climbs, and in mud holes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Top low speed for stock is 40 mph rev. limit kicks in.
(my low end hits the rev. limit at 53 mph.)

I run low a lot, generally 5-20 mph. 20 being on the county road cleaning the mud off the tires.

Only run high when I head down the road to visit neighbors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in low just about any time that I'm not going 25mph or faster. Not only does the my grizzly feel like it's barely working, I also think that it might help me save on fuel.

Any thoughts on that from others??

D

·
0 Posts
As for weather you should use low or high for general easy riding where low is not necessary, i would say do what feels right to you.

Its the old high rpm low load, or low rpm higher load debate. To each his own.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Went to CAW today and with the hills and mud I ran mostly in low gear. I did notice how better it handled and performed using low considering the terrain. I do however have a concern on the engine turning those rpm's for so long. Whats everyones oppinion on this? I will add that the fastest I really got up to was about 15 mph. but it just made me nervous turning that high, it was a real challenge not to run in high, but like I said the handling was very much improved.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts