Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking around the idea of the HMF Titan slip on exhaust with the fuel optimizer. the reason I'm looking at the Titan they claim that it's not much louder than the stock exhaust I don't want all the noise but I do like a little bit of sound just wondering if anybody has ever put this combination on? If so what's your opinion of it? how loud is it, is it even worth it mainly looking for the little bit more low-end and high end horsepower they claim it will give you but I would like some input before I would spend the money on it for what they're asking I would hate to be disappointed any input or information would greatly be appreciated. They said the fuel Optimizer would come tuned for my machine that I would not have to play with it everything I am seen online it shows people constantly switching the program I really don't want to get into all of that that is my biggest concern. Thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of the HMF Titan slip on exhaust with the fuel optimizer. the reason I'm looking at the Titan they claim that it's not much louder than the stock exhaust I don't want all the noise but I do like a little bit of sound just wondering if anybody has ever put this combination on? If so what's your opinion of it? how loud is it, is it even worth it mainly looking for the little bit more low-end and high end horsepower they claim it will give you but I would like some input before I would spend the money on it for what they're asking I would hate to be disappointed any input or information would greatly be appreciated. They said the fuel Optimizer would come tuned for my machine that I would not have to play with it everything I am seen online it shows people constantly switching the program I really don't want to get into all of that that is my biggest concern. Thanks guys and gals
I have a Titan QS with an optimizer. It isn't much louder then a stock but it is a more aggressive sound. As far as the optimizer goes it does come preset, Just make sure you order for your year. It is easy to change settings if you want but like you I am not really into that. I do have some popping coming off full throttle but I feel I can resolve that issue with a AIS delete. I do have noticeable gains across the board but if you are thinking your going to compete or compare to any twin you might as well save your money. I have a grizzly with a stock exhaust as well. If I get time I will shot a side by side comparison video tomorrow.

Reactions: Pjniez and Blklab

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's the kind of information I'm looking for I'm definitely not looking to compete with the V - twins just a little better sound and hopefully a little bit more power on low in and top-end sounds like you're pretty happy with your setup thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am actually pretty happy with it. I was nervous what it was going to be obnoxiously loud but I figured I could still add a quiet core if needed. This doesn't have the quiet core insert. I could even get it quieter if I needed but it is fine for me the way it is. Here is the comparison video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIMpqGT5cQs

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
So, I'm going to provide some info of what I've experienced with fuel controllers and aftermarket exhaust. It may not be of popular opinion.

I do have the predecessor exhaust to the HMF Titan as best I can tell the reasoning for the name change from Swamp to Titan was primarily to not confuse the Swamp with the Swamp XL which is louder. So, the Swamp and Titan should be pretty much the same. The sound is nice and slightly louder or about the same at idle. I do feel my Swamp exhaust, with quiet core, is louder at med/high throttle than OEM. It is not obnoxiously louder. I chose the HMF Swamp as it was cheaper than an OEM replacement as my OEM exhaust had a hole in it and looked to be pretty 'done' as welding would have probably melted the very thin metal left near the hole.

I do not have the HMF Fuel Optimizer but do run my exhaust with a different fuel controller made for the Grizzly 700.

Had I to do it over, I probably would have left everything OEM and just paid the extra for an OEM exhaust. Why you ask?

It is a mild pain in the ass to try and properly adjust fueling for variances in altitude that can have a delta of 7000 feet. Granted, that altitude delta of 7000 feet does not happen on a single ride as it can be adjusted if I go down in elevation or up. What I am referring to is trying to get optimal air to fuel ratio to start with at the chosen altitude you want to adjust for. Fuel mappings are done where they are done and that is at the altitude the fuel controller is tested and probably sold at. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily if you live/ride at altitudes where the fuel maps were done.

So, you do live in an area that is quite a bit different than where your fuel maps were done, now what? Well, you could take your bike to a dealer close by where you live and have them 1 time tune for your altitude at what cost? Around $100/$150. Or, you could install an AFR meter to absolutely know what your burn ratio is while under load at a specific altitude. I do now have an AFR meter installed with help from @RockTaco and so I can see real time ratio readings and how much the ratio changes when going up or down in altitude. That is good and not so good. Because now I have added info and can f with it more.

Does the exhaust/fuel controller add more usable power? I have no idea and want to side on the opinion of it doesn't add much if any at all. CVT mods did a lot more. Does it sound better? Well yeah, but how do you feel after 8 hours of riding? Give me the quietest exhaust out there as that is what is most important for me.

I should have just replace my rotted OEM exhaust with OEM and not use a fuel controller. :laugh:

Reactions: Blklab and Vincent

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you RedRocket, I definitely appreciate your input, I really didn't know if I wanted one or not but it sounds more like it's not going to make that much of a difference. I don't think I'll jump into anything right away and thanks again for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts