Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone had ever put high beam bulbs in the low beam lights. I have a 22 and have a front box so my handlebar headlight is mostly blocked. Been doing a lot of mods lately and am running out of motivation to fab up a light bar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, it’s too bad Yamaha didn’t make the grill lights have high and low settings for those times when the front rack is loaded and blocks the handlebar headlight. In my experience, the grill lights don’t illuminate good at all. It’s almost like the lighting you got from a “black light” in your room as a kid lol. When you turn the lights on high and the halogen handlebar light comes on, it makes a world of difference. I’m sure an aftermarket light bar will really light things up, but that shouldn’t be necessary on a $12,000 machine. The stock halogen grill lights on my old Rincon are much better than the grill lights on my 2022 Grizzly.

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
Okay so I just learned something new. I didn't realize the LED lights on the grizzly weren't high and low. That's one advantage that the Kodiak does have as the two lower halogen lights are high and low beam where the useless third upper light is only high beam not that it really matters anyway. Useless if you use your front rack as intended to carry stuff. Although the halogen lights on the Kodiak suck overall, they are at least a high and low beam. I've currently changed mine over to an HID setup that is high and low beam but much much brighter. My only annoyance with my setup is the fact that when I ordered them I could only get 8000k bulbs where I would have preferred to have a 5000k or a 6000k. But they are still miles ahead of yellowish halogen. I have a set of custom built LED pods waiting to go in, but they will be low beam only, with a small light bar for high beam.

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
Well from the parts diagram it looks like it is a sealed unit, maybe that is why no one has done it,

View attachment 104021
Yes it is a sealed unit. It's a led reflector, chips, and driver all in one. It's also not plug n play compatible with older grizzly or into the Kodiak without building a way to mount it. I've been down that road. Just didn't realize it was low beam only.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Okay so I just learned something new. I didn't realize the LED lights on the grizzly weren't high and low. ........
Unless Yamaha revised something the headlight/s indicates that the LED lights do have high/low bulbs.
Or maybe the OP are others have a bad relay or fuse or ???
61 is the low beam relay
62 is the high beam relay
59 is the fender headlights
58 us the handlebar light

Product Rectangle Font Line Parallel

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
Unless Yamaha revised something the headlight/s indicates that the LED lights do have high/low bulbs.
Or maybe the OP are others have a bad relay or fuse or ???
61 is the low beam relay
62 is the high beam relay
59 is the fender headlights
58 us the handlebar light

View attachment 104039
That's exactly what I was thinking of, I looked at that schematic a couple years ago when I was first starting to mid my Kodiak headlights. I originally was going to try to retrofit grizzly led lights in. I was always under the assumption they were hi/lo

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
I guess then I need to figure out why mine don't work! Does anyone have a diagram of the full system, time to do a little trouble shooting.
Check out GC forum member and sponsor www.501parts.com

I would first check the fuses with a meter of some sort
Then possibly switch the relays if they have the same number on them.

Sent from my A600DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Could be the handlebar switch.
Mine has a dead spot if I push it to far forward.
Should be able to hear the relay click

Sent from my A600DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
135 Posts
just checked on my 2022 and it has low and high beam on the LED headlights. Get in front of your ATV, put it on low beam, with your arm extended while looking at your headlight, put it on high beam, you'll see there is another spot that lights up in the housing. Maybe you didn't notice it on the road as it is not that noticeable because the third light lights up at the same time?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I definitely need to pay more attention. I haven't really ridden mine in real dark scenarios. '22 owner's manual does show High/Low as well

View attachment 104041
Instructions like that remind me of my 600's backup Pull Start. It has gotten me out of a jam or three over the years.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found a diagram online and started tracing. One of the wiring connectors wasn't all the way pushed together, Took a little while to find it but pushed it together until the locking tab clicked and now I have hi and low on the fender lights. I unplugged the ground for my handlebar light so I won't get the reflection anymore. I'm riding on Friday so will get to check it out then. It is just like diverscale said, on high the lows stay on and a second set of lights in the housing come on. Thanks everyone, would have always thought the fender lights only had low beams

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wondering if anyone had ever put high beam bulbs in the low beam lights. I have a 22 and have a front box so my handlebar headlight is mostly blocked. Been doing a lot of mods lately and am running out of motivation to fab up a light bar.
My 21 grizzly has high/low in the fenders and the handlebar light comes on with high beam. I to have a front bag or a gun rack depending on the season so I installed a 8" single row LED light on the front of my rack on the bottom of rack and tied it into the handlebar light with proper plugs so on high beam my fener lights are on and the light bar. Huge difference and no glare from handlebar light. Very simple job and it all looks very clean and I can go back to handlebar light if I ever want to just plug and play.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jeez I’ll have to dig deeper into mine then. It looked like the high setting only turned on the handlebar light and didn’t change the grill lights at all. I’ll cover the handlebar light up with something, take it out in the dark and cycle between high/low to see if the grill lights change.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts