Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone had ever put high beam bulbs in the low beam lights. I have a 22 and have a front box so my handlebar headlight is mostly blocked. Been doing a lot of mods lately and am running out of motivation to fab up a light bar.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found a diagram online and started tracing. One of the wiring connectors wasn't all the way pushed together, Took a little while to find it but pushed it together until the locking tab clicked and now I have hi and low on the fender lights. I unplugged the ground for my handlebar light so I won't get the reflection anymore. I'm riding on Friday so will get to check it out then. It is just like diverscale said, on high the lows stay on and a second set of lights in the housing come on. Thanks everyone, would have always thought the fender lights only had low beams

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Well with the high beams working it really isn't that much better than before especially going up hill. The high beams just light above the low. Instead of mixing and making it brighter. The quad transfers so much to the rear that the lights end up in the trees under hard acceleration. Don't want to stiffen the rear and they aren't anywhere near bright enough at any speed above 20 anyway. So I guess a lightbar is the only answer :(

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Does anyone know how many watts you can run? I was thinking of mounting one from the reflector brackets which is about 28 and a half inches. Most of the 28 inch lights I've seen are 120-180 watts. I will use a relay with a direct power source from the battery with my disconnected handlebar headlight wiring for the exciter wire so it will only work on high beam setting.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So do you guys think you need one or 2 6 inch lights for riding at speeds of 40-50mph? It would be $240 for 2 six inch or they make a 12 inch for $200 plus the heavy duty wiring kit is another $40. The problem I have with just the fender lights is at speeds above 20 I outrun the light and the light is no where near bright enough. I don't do a lot of night riding, try to get back to the truck within a hour after dark. But sometimes it is later and even if it's only 10 minutes I would rather have decent lights.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I would say most of the riding I do is about 20-35 but there are spots, especially when trying to get back to the truck, where I'm running 40mph+. I see a lot of videos where guys go about 10mph the whole time that is why I ask about speed. What works at slow speeds doesn't always work so well at higher speeds.

How about which beam to buy. I see they list 3, flood, fog or driving. Seems the driving beam gives the most straight ahead light.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So would you think it would be better to go with a 6 inch fog and a 6 driving than a 12 driving? I'm cheap and trying to save the cash and the extra work to mount 2 but I've learned sometimes it's better to spend the little extra and have a better setup in the end.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I wanted to buy the DD, and probably would have if they had dropped the price on Sunday when I ordered but I went with a Kimpex 14 inch duo row. Was less than half the price after you buy the wiring harness, and has great reviews.. I also still need to buy a winch so I made a deal with myself that I could get the KFI Stealth winch if I bought the cheaper light bar. FIgure if I don't like it I can put it on one of my other toys later and buy the DD. A lot easier to swap a light bar than a winch. Now just hoping someone puts the KFI on sale Friday. Then should pretty much have the Grizzly set up the way I want it. Well I do still need a mirror for when I'm running the windshield...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts