Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I would say most of the riding I do is about 20-35 but there are spots, especially when trying to get back to the truck, where I'm running 40mph+. I see a lot of videos where guys go about 10mph the whole time that is why I ask about speed. What works at slow speeds doesn't always work so well at higher speeds.

How about which beam to buy. I see they list 3, flood, fog or driving. Seems the driving beam gives the most straight ahead light.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
135 Posts
I do higher speed for the same reason as you, I could ride with only the one 6inch driving light I have for sure and it would be enough. But I love the added benifit of having a wide angle fog pattern to see more on my sides, but not mandatory for sure. My fog pattern do not add to the throw, just wideness, so no difference for higher speed driving. Careful to slow down a bit at night on trails, no amount of light will light up a ditch or hidden obstacle.

I do mostly ride with both on though. It's bright for a 6in, if aimed correctly, your third light will make absolutely no difference. I consider it a back up just in case.

They also have a spot pattern, but driving is perfect for us. The flood is really low range lighting, the fog pattern is actually very impressive, it's a very clear and clean line of light in front of you. It's my favorite one and often light this one only for working or slow speeds

Fog pattern on my dirty wall, it's actually much crisper and cleaner than this but no better picture:
Automotive tire Wall Gas Flooring Tints and shades

Benefit of fog pattern in conjunction with driving pattern (light on the sides). You can also see the throw of the driving pattern

Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So would you think it would be better to go with a 6 inch fog and a 6 driving than a 12 driving? I'm cheap and trying to save the cash and the extra work to mount 2 but I've learned sometimes it's better to spend the little extra and have a better setup in the end.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
135 Posts
So would you think it would be better to go with a 6 inch fog and a 6 driving than a 12 driving? I'm cheap and trying to save the cash and the extra work to mount 2 but I've learned sometimes it's better to spend the little extra and have a better setup in the end.
just saying you won't regret it, and only one 6inch driving is way enough if well aligned, two would be overkill. I use only the fog pattern for working around the house or riding slowly...- and while riding normally, the wider angle really helps with faster driving in the curves. I'm glad I installed both and would not go any other way. It's the same deal as redRocket, his side fogs adds medium distance wide angle lighting which is useful in some situations. I also could ride at night with only the driving light, but I always light up the fog too.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That's pretty impressive for a 6" bar! I see that they're on sale now for $84 too. Might need to pick one of these up.

Reactions: diverscale

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,398 Posts
The light output from that 6" bar is amazing, especially when you consider the price. It may not be a Baja or Rigid but I personally don't see the need to spend the money on a Baja or Rigid when this DD light puts out the light it does. The $84 for the 6" light is about what it cost before pricing went up on them... good mention.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I wanted to buy the DD, and probably would have if they had dropped the price on Sunday when I ordered but I went with a Kimpex 14 inch duo row. Was less than half the price after you buy the wiring harness, and has great reviews.. I also still need to buy a winch so I made a deal with myself that I could get the KFI Stealth winch if I bought the cheaper light bar. FIgure if I don't like it I can put it on one of my other toys later and buy the DD. A lot easier to swap a light bar than a winch. Now just hoping someone puts the KFI on sale Friday. Then should pretty much have the Grizzly set up the way I want it. Well I do still need a mirror for when I'm running the windshield...

41 - 48 of 48 Posts