Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how deep can you go.with out a snorkle I hear the cvt is the week point this is on 2012 and a 2013 700

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
The cvt should fill with water just before the engine dies.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am.just curious to what is a safe referance point to a water level if you don't have snorkles .

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
Don't get water on/over the hood. Take the hood off and look how the air gets into the cvt. Then remove the cover above the side panels and see the air intake.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What Ridgway81432 said, as he's tons more knowledgeable than I on this matter.

Best to look and see for yourself where the CVT intake is and know exactly how deep you can go. Sounds like you might have a snorkel in your future lol, as I'd rather snork than worrry about drowning my Grizz. I've never wanted to put mine as deep as it would go to start with, sounds like flirting with disaster to me. Anyway, know your bike (and it's limitations I guess)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I.basically understood where all the breathers for cvt and air box are located I am some what machanicly inclined and basically took it apart when I got it home to check all fluids and to see how it worked and to make a trail tool kit. I have been reading snorkle posts and started to wonder about the other vent lines and such and diffs. And just wondered. I will most likely end up fabing my own snorkles. Just want to see what I run into this winter. Thanks for the advice guys

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
From the factory, the grizzly is setup well to reduce water intake. But, if you are going to be in water, I would encourage a snorkel system.

·
Registered
900 Posts
A good reference is your 12v power plug. Any deeper and it won't take much for a little wave of water to make it into the snorkels.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I don't run into much that deep yet but one time I get turned around by deep water and I know I will be snorkeling it

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
agree with the 12v socket reference point. and if i was anywhere close to that id be puckered up pretty good.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
The deepest I've been so far is the bottom crossmember on the front bumper, winch was completely submerged. This was crossing a river earlier this summer, don't plan on ever going deeper than that.

The CVT intake under the front hood panel, get water over the hood, your going to drown the tranny.

·
Super Moderator
1,734 Posts
On the 700 the intake for air box is where the top of the gas tank used to be and for the cvt is on the right side of said air box and about as mentioned earlier about level with key and 12 volt plug in...and also there is one right below speedo/handle bars....

·
Registered
679 Posts
I went hood scoop deep in June a few times and the 700 just kept pushing forward.

Jim

·
Registered
708 Posts
Does nobody search for answers any more? Same questions everyday.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lately every time I try to search I type in what I am looking for and it takes me to the "active topics" page I just tried to search my own topic of how deep and it came back with zero results I can only scroll threw so many pages of snorkle info looking for this be for I give up and ask

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
I don't cross water like that, I just roll steady at about 5-7 mph. I don't want to jack my quad.

·
Registered
679 Posts
After impact. Holy smoke that was a fast entry into the water. When doing a water crossing I go in slow and steady and if gets to deep I back on out and go around. I don't want to swamp the bike as it is very time consuming/expensive to flush out afterward. I never swamped my 2000 popo500 but the belt got wet numerous times from water crossings, it had a much lower cvt exhaust than the grizzly

Jim

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
I was just giving the O.P.er some thoughts on water. The grizz is very tough and lot more fun when ridden aggressively. Becky goes easy on her popo,

Imogene pass 6-22-13 066.jpg

and the camera man backs up for the grizz.

Imogene pass 6-22-13 067.jpg

You can also drop in from the top,

Keeping the mud hole open. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

We don't blast a water hole the first time through, we find the rocks first.
As far as jacking a grizz, I've been gas and go for over 3000 miles.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts