Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a '16 Grizzly SE. Looks amazing, but I can't help but worry about the paint.

How badly is this thing going to get beat up. Am I going to regret it and wish I had just gotten an EPS model with the regular dyed plastics?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought the same when I bought mine.

Mine was next to a blue eps at the dealer. The difference was night and day. The blue had way more boot/leg scuffs than the grey SE just from people sitting on them in the showroom. It's automotive grade paint so it acts as a hard coat on the plastic. Light scratches may even be able to buffed out. The metallic finish hides a lot also. The matte black might be a different story.

Nude plastic scratches really easy, and can't be buffed or repainted. The nice rims and 2" receiver are a nice bonus too. It was the paint that sold me though.

My biggest complaint about the paint, is the way the overspray looks on the bottom of the fenders. But the bike has to be upside down or extremely clean to see it....hopefully those occasions are few and far between. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Appreciate the input

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ive only got about 20 hours on mine. But its holding up well. Time will tell but I don't see why it wouldn't.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I haven't had my mine very long, I haven't noticed any scuffs or scratches, so far it seems be durable . I don't regret buying it

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, guys, thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nude plastic scratches really easy, and can't be buffed or repainted.
With proper prep the plastics CAN be painted. Yamaha did it on the SE.

You just need to sand/scuff it up, clean it real well (no grease or oil), they even make a a plastic etch primer. It works on the principle of the Krylon plastic fusion rattle can. It has a chemical that actually "melts" into the plastic a bit to form a permanent bond. Then any automotive grade paints can be applied.

I recently (ok 3 years ago) changed mine from green to blue, and used the krylon fusion in flat black to do the under side of the fenders similar to the older SE. Having the black under coat really helps it pop.

(links to pics later when I have my post count up)

The fusion paint has stuck much better than most of the stickers :icon_ goofy:

dw

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You can buff raw plastic & paint with an adhesion promoter, that's what we use on bumpers.
The paint can also be buffed.
Camo is the most durable / forgiving of scuffs & scratches, SE being next.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wanted to add pics to show the difference painting the underside makes...

before

after

dw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts