Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm in the market for a new ATV and have narrowed it down to a grizzly 700 and a Suzuki king quad 750. My biggest complaint with my current ride (sportsman 570) is the heat the engine puts off to the rider.

I've been on the Suzuki forum and from the owners over there they claim heat isn't an issue at all for the 750. I personally like the looks of a grizzly better and they have stronger power steering. But I've read the Grizzly gets hot unless you have the tuner and ais delete.

I sure as heck don't want to go from one hot ATV to another one.

So, how much does the tuner help with making the engine run cooler?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2014 Grizz is stock and I don't have a heat issue riding in shorts. The left side is warmer then the right side but that is to be expected. Adding a tuner does not look too difficult to install and both quads would benefit by it. Heat would not be a deciding choice in my opinion. Good luck with your pick, I am sure you will be happy with either ride.

·
Grizzled
3,619 Posts
Polaris has had a lot of recalls over heat issues for many different engines where Yamaha has not, to my knowledge. Seems that for Yamaha and starting around the 2016 model year with the 708cc engine, some reported the header pipe being extremely hot and many concluded it was because the engine was tuned on the leaner side to pass emissions. So many started buying FI tuners to add fuel reporting positive results. Yamaha went back to a slightly revised version of the 686cc starting in 2019 and I don't recall reading many complaints running hot, but I still think some have mentioned it. With 2019+, probably not much an issue and most of the reports you've read of running hot were probably preceding the 2019+ 686cc engine.

AIS (Air Injection System) is designed to add air into the exhaust to burn off any extra unburnt fuel, again an emissions thing. Lots hate the decel popping and that is why some block off the AIS.

I also run a FI tuner on my 2014, not because of heat, but because I want to adjust fueling optimally for where I live and ride, CO mountains.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
2019 isn't any worse then my old 09. All I did with my old bike is add two layers of aluminum heater / air con. Tape on the inside of the fender facing the exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My 2014 Grizz is stock and I don't have a heat issue riding in shorts. The left side is warmer then the right side but that is to be expected. Adding a tuner does not look too difficult to install and both quads would benefit by it. Heat would not be a deciding choice in my opinion. Good luck with your pick, I am sure you will be happy with either ride.
For me, heat is a deciding factor. I have all the heat shields Polaris offers on my 570 and it still will bake my right leg in pants or shorts.

I don't want to jump into another ATV that will still burn my leg off while trying to have a good time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Navi - I have a 2019 with the Yamaha 686 and can attest to no overwhelming heat without using a fi tuner. My engine temps run anywhere from 155 - 220 depending on weather and speed. I have no problem riding with shorts on a hot day for whatever that is worth. Good luck on your selection and new ride!
Grip

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Navi - I have a 2019 with the Yamaha 686 and can attest to no overwhelming heat without using a fi tuner. My engine temps run anywhere from 155 - 220 depending on weather and speed. I have no problem riding with shorts on a hot day for whatever that is worth. Good luck on your selection and new ride!
Grip
Thanks for your reply, that makes me feel better with leaning towards the grizzly.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
558 Posts
I have been riding my 2017 Kodiak around my property the last 2 weeks in shorts because it’s been in the 90’s and my legs never got warm from the engine or exhaust heat. In fact last night when I parked it in the garage I put my hand on the left side panel that covers the exhaust pipe and although it was warm I could hold my hand on it without getting burned. All I have done is the AIS delete. I was riding it pretty hard too Experimenting & playing with my new clutch mods. 😁

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 2020 Grizzly and 2020 Kodiak both no significant heat issues. Grizzly got warmer in Texas heat compared to Kodiak so I added a tuner and AIS delete and it helped some. But again there was not a huge issue to begin with. I say go ahead and buy the Grizzly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a 2018 kodiak 700, one of the supposedly "hot" engines. I ride in short all the time. No fuel tuner or ais block yet. The left side gets hot, but it's to be expected, the exhaust runs 2" behind that plastic. I do have a pkg og heat shield tape for DEI here to layer on there and over the muffler for added protection. It doesn't "need" it but it can't hurt.
I will say that this area gets les hot than a 500 rubicon, and a 850 outlander (that is like lava on your leg).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts