Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. haven't putting on my profile yet but I run a N2P snorkel and also rad kit with a HMF swamp exhaust and HMF fuel Opt. but I want to know if there is something I need to do to make sure it wont die in deep water.. I realize that the exhaust back flow can be problem underwater because the engine can stall but is there a way to prevent this so when I am in deep water at a idle speed it wont die or stall out on me .... Let me know ... and maybe the Swamp Exhaust isn't the right one to run.. I don't know so yeah. options or answers will help lol
Thank you,
Michael

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interested in the same thing myself. Maybe someone will chime in with some knowledge.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Hey guys. haven't putting on my profile yet but I run a N2P snorkel and also rad kit with a HMF swamp exhaust and HMF fuel Opt. but I want to know if there is something I need to do to make sure it wont die in deep water.. I realize that the exhaust back flow can be problem underwater because the engine can stall but is there a way to prevent this so when I am in deep water at a idle speed it wont die or stall out on me .... Let me know ... and maybe the Swamp Exhaust isn't the right one to run.. I don't know so yeah. options or answers will help lol
Thank you,
Michael

What year ? On my Grizzly 07 400 I use a little bit of choke to keep the idle up. I have this quad fully snorkeled , and completely underwater many times. On my 16 700 I have never had a issue. My 16 is not snorkeled , but I do run a HMF Swamp pipe , and Fuel tuner. I have had it to it factory limit depths , and have never had it stall. If you run a exhaust snorkel , then a stall would not be a problem anyways. I have never had exhaust back pressure (under water) make a motor stall , non issue.

On my 07 400 , I MUST dielectric grease spark plug , and plug the carb drain line. On my 16 I have gotten away with not doing it , however it has recently been done (grease that is).

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
I have seen some with the snorkeled exhaust but it looks a little goofy IMO. Maybe if you’re in the water that much it would be worth it for you.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dont let off of the throttle to quick! the grizz will idle with the exhaust under water just fine but the exhaust flooding becomes an issue when you are rolling along in a mud hole and let off the throttle to quick. it causes a moment of very low back pressure in the exhaust which the gravity of water takes advantage of to let its self in where its not wanted!

if you do flood out your exhaust do NOT try to immediately restart ur grizz, get your grizz out of the water and tilted up so the water can drain, let her sit for a few minutes then fire her back up. once shes back running just let her idle for a few minutes and clear all of the water out.

after i got my fuel programmer installed and dialed in good this scenario quit happening to me, not to say that it happened all of the time but it did happen several times. it could be the programmer + me being more aware to not let off of the throttle quickly but either way the the programmer has helped.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Natedog56,

Too start or not to start is a big question,

If mine died in water while idling, I would immediately hit the start, now this scenario is a non swamped vehicle no water in the intake, just muffler in water, and happens fast enough before water gets to the cylinder , hopefully immediately fired up.

Back in the day, My son killed my 450 Grizzly in a deep hole and was just sitting there.......not sure for how long wasnt paying attention, yelled at him to try to start it, it fired up, but water had gotten into the cylinder...blue smoke for awhile, the Grizz lost a little power after that, but could have been in the clutch too, not sure. I was still learning then.

If machine sits submerged, review my sunk Grizzly thread.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Natedog56,

Too start or not to start is a big question,

If mine died in water while idling, I would immediately hit the start, now this scenario is a non swamped vehicle no water in the intake, just muffler in water, and happens fast enough before water gets to the cylinder , hopefully immediately fired up.

Back in the day, My son killed my 450 Grizzly in a deep hole and was just sitting there.......not sure for how long wasnt paying attention, yelled at him to try to start it, it fired up, but water had gotten into the cylinder...blue smoke for awhile, the Grizz lost a little power after that, but could have been in the clutch too, not sure. I was still learning then.

If machine sits submerged, review my sunk Grizzly thread.
Hey Doc

While it does make sense to want to star it up after flooding the exhaust it just wont work (at least with my 2015). Out of the handful of times this has happened i have tried to start it back up when still sitting there but the engine will not crank. At least 1/4 - 1/2 of the water has to be drained out of the exhaust before the starter/cylinder can put out enough pressure to force the rest of the water out & start back up. This very well could be due to the design of the starter, maybe if it doesn't have as much torque as older models, but what i do know is that with the exhaust fully flooded it wont start. Even getting pulled back on to level ground but the exhaust fully flooded it still wont begin to crank until some water is being drained. Again just my experience with my machine.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Hey Doc

While it does make sense to want to star it up after flooding the exhaust it just wont work (at least with my 2015). Out of the handful of times this has happened i have tried to start it back up when still sitting there but the engine will not crank. At least 1/4 - 1/2 of the water has to be drained out of the exhaust before the starter/cylinder can put out enough pressure to force the rest of the water out & start back up. This very well could be due to the design of the starter, maybe if it doesn't have as much torque as older models, but what i do know is that with the exhaust fully flooded it wont start. Even getting pulled back on to level ground but the exhaust fully flooded it still wont begin to crank until some water is being drained. Again just my experience with my machine.
Interesting, my 2015 will see no water if at all possible, my 09 has seen a lot of water along with my sons 10’. I will need to ask my son if he ever restarted the Grizzly under water, many times on a unsnorkled machine, steam injested into the air intake is what actually causes the motor to die.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting, my 2015 will see no water if at all possible, my 09 has seen a lot of water along with my sons 10’. I will need to ask my son if he ever restarted the Grizzly under water, many times on a unsnorkled machine, steam injested into the air intake is what actually causes the motor to die.
Hey Doc.

I ran into the steam issue a few times and was able to restart it just fine, but have learned to operate around it so the engine doesn't stall from the steam. My recent issues with the exhaust flooding are after I've been paddling through a hole/trench and keeping the RPM's up a bit but when i go to move or something my thumb slips off of the throttle and the engine goes to idle RPM to quick letting the water rush in. my fuel programmer helped out a lot with this "issue" but a little while back i was redoing some of my wiring and i disconnected it from the battery and haven't gotten a chance to reprogram it yet.

Reactions: DrMud
1 - 10 of 10 Posts