Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got some sort of tip on my stock exhaust, looks like the typical 2R tip. It's pretty damn loud to be honest. It sounds cool, but not so cool when you're trying to be a little stealthy.

I've seen a post by graygrizz where he mentions installing the Bikeman Performance Quiet Core (PN: 08-QC) in his stock exhaust with the 2R tip and it toned it down a bit. Has anyone else done this? It looks like the inside of my muffler is a solid tube that's about 2" diameter, I can't see how that Bikeman part would work, the solid end of it would completely plug my muffler I believe.

Is the muffler of a 2016 (which I believe graygrizz has) different internally than my 2007?

On another note, has anyone here used one of the addon muffler/silencer kits on their Grizzly? Anyone made one of their own with a small automotive muffler? I like the noise when I want it, but it'd be nice to be able to add on a simple silencer to quiet it down when needed.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yeah and it is not empty anyway. I suggest you look for a tip off of a Yamaha ttr. You will need to cut the dome off the back of the spark arrestor but it will bolt up and has a removable "quiet core."

Just to clarify the tip I am talking about is off a four stroke dirt bike. Has about 1.5inch opening with the little core out and it's with one bolt!

Reactions: Logan80

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,670 Posts
Yeah, best off just buying the Yamaha OEM muffler/spark arrestor tip. I don't recall it being very expensive to order and will quiet things down a lot compared to a 2R or knock-off 2R.

With the OEM tip, you won't get a real throaty sound when the throttle is opened up, but makes for a much nicer experience for all day riding. I only have an aftermarket exhaust as I had to buy a new muffler because of a hole. I looked for the quietest aftermarket muffler, and ended up with a HMF Swamp exhaust I because it was a lot cheaper than OEM. I'm considering buying the HMF quiet core for my current exhaust now too.

·
Premium Member
10,700 Posts
If you are handy with a welder, or have a welding friend, use the current tip as a templet for the base hole pattern and make a new tip.
Make the base from flat stock, then find a length of @1.5" diameter pipe for the nipple. Have a section of the nipple bent for direction flow, cut a hole in the base plate and weld the two together.
You can leave a little length of the nipple for the inside of the muffler, and trim that to length until flush with the inside base if needed.
Other members have wanted 'very quiet' during hunting season, and have added second mufflers clamped over the current tip. They have mounted the second muffler to the rear rack with a flex pipe to the current tip, which can be removed easily for summer riding.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have one of these on my Honda, during hunting season only. It makes a moderate difference in volume up close, but when you are away from the machine, and someone is coming towards you, it makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in how far you can hear them coming from.

https://www.atvsilencer.com/the-silent-rider-yamaha-grizzly-700-07-13-bolt-on-adapter-only.html

I wouldn't bother trying to add one though until you've got your stock exhaust back to at least as quiet as stock. Good advice from those above on that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Did you notice any drop in performance Wheelsquad??

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Did you notice any drop in performance Wheelsquad??
No, can't say I noticed any drop in performance. But during hunting season we're only on flat and easy trails. I don't have it on during the summer when doing more serious riding. But keep in mind this is a TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT), one of the most UNDERPERFORMING ATV's ever made.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Yeah, best off just buying the Yamaha OEM muffler/spark arrestor tip. I don't recall it being very expensive to order and will quiet things down a lot compared to a 2R or knock-off 2R.

With the OEM tip, you won't get a real throaty sound when the throttle is opened up, but makes for a much nicer experience for all day riding. I only have an aftermarket exhaust as I had to buy a new muffler because of a hole. I looked for the quietest aftermarket muffler, and ended up with a HMF Swamp exhaust I because it was a lot cheaper than OEM. I'm considering buying the HMF quiet core for my current exhaust now too.
Don't expect a huge sound difference with the HMF quiet core.....at least on mine it was noticeable but disappointing.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,670 Posts
Don't expect a huge sound difference with the HMF quiet core.....at least on mine it was noticeable but disappointing.
Yeah, I think HMF's claim is noise is reduced by 3-6dB and from what I've been told, it is on the lower end of the decrease, so expect around 3dB less. I know it won't make a big difference, but even quieter would be nice at times. It's also only $30 us so not much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put a Hushpower by Flowmaster on my 2007 700fi and its so quiet i can hear the cvt, injectors, and even leaves crunching under my tires! I bought my bike from a mechanic at a Yamaha dealership and he had a home made Frankenstein core concoction in an hmf swamp series slip on.. my [email protected]$$ stripped the hmf exhaust tip holes with grade 8 bolts...smh and at the time I didnt have the skills to tap them out and just use larger bolts, plus I wasnt sure it was gonna be quiet enough anyway.. So I put stock pipe back on and spent the better part of the next week experimenting with different combos of the internals/cores of the factory pipe and the hmf.. Finally deciding it just wasnt quiet enough so I bought the Hushpower, removed all baffling, screens, arrestors, and quiet core parts; fabricated my own tip and welded on the silencer.. results were astounding.. i wish i wouldve taken some decibel readings before and after! I should add that I have a Power Commander 3 installed also.. Not knowing how I affected backpressure I just created my own map and added a little fuel every 250rpms in hopes of not burning down my engine! The only problems have been premature(imo) wearing of the tail gasket causing minor leaks at the end of factory pipe, requiring me to make a new gasket and replace too frequently.. also the weight of the silencer combined with the rough terrain in West Virginia mountains has caused me to have to re-attach hangers too often(imo)...
I'm currently in the process of relocating the silencer to the right side of the chassis and connecting it to factory muffler with a banana shaped piece of exhaust pipe, which is no small task, I'm just worried about containing/managing the heat. Ive already sliced and diced the underside of the fender and added heat absorbing adding and heat reflective tape.. I'm now wondering if I should add flashing and heat padding to side of gastank and ignition box area?? Will this also trap engine heat that would normally be escaping?? If anyone has ever run a dual exhaust like the Raptor on their Grizzly or has any advice I would love to hear it lol... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I know this is an old post, but since I posted this I did buy and modify one of those addon atv silencers and while it worked alright, I think it made my machine run a bit hot. Also, it didn't quiet it as much as I'd of liked. To install it we made a new tip that was a bit smaller in diameter and made of stainless steel (because we had it available) and the silencer just slipped over it and clamped on.

Since then I purchased a small automotive muffler and this past weekend we installed it. It's not the prettiest install ever but it works really great! I went from 2R tip super loud to barely hearing it idling from 20 feet away. I installed it so that it can be removed without any damage to the machine if I wish. It's clamped to the rear rack supports and clamped to the exhaust tip we made. I rode ALL day, pretty hard, at a local trail system and it never got particularly hot, ran amazingly well, and the noise was much more bearable.

Here's a few pics as well as a video of it. The video makes it sound a lot louder than it is due to the "bass" of the video recording. Overall I'm very pleased, well worth the $60 or so I have into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I took off my 2R tip and sold it after 2 rides and when back to stock, no more backfires and I can hear now when riding...I did like the idle thump it had though...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I took off my 2R tip and sold it after 2 rides and when back to stock, no more backfires and I can hear now when riding...I did like the idle thump it had though...
I did the same, took my 2R tip off and put the stock back on last week, glad I did. Thought I would like the louder but lower tone but all it really did is cause me to get a headache after 2-3 hours of riding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Logan80 , nice work! I like the way you were able to mount your oval one better than I did my circular one: https://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-talk/109827-loud-exhaust.html#post1086863

I take mine off in the summer riding season, and will just put it back on for hunting season. It's amazing how much less distance the sound carries with these on vs stock.

Yours looks great too, and seems to work very well!

I wanted to keep my as far under/out of the way as I could to avoid crushing it if I backed into something. Mine is relatively well protected tucked underneath like it is, and it works much better than the video makes it seem. I'm happy for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts