Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I have learned so much from GC that hopefully, this will be a good contribution to help someone else.

This How To is not and end all, be all. However, I've performed this technique several times and it has worked out flawlessly. This technique can be applied to all years and all makes of atv/sxs (except for glass lenses). This is a lead in to many mods from mild to wild, such has HID projector retrofits or simple halos. The how to is missing the reassembly, which I will add when I go to put the headlights back together. So to the meat and taters!

Tools: grizzly lights, cookie sheet, tin foil, small block off wood, various flat head screwdrivers, pliers, oven :D and GLOVES!
Automotive lighting Auto part Headlamp

Step 1: Disassembly
There are several posts about how to actually remove the headlight from the grizzly. Long story short, you remove 3 screws and the headlight will slide out of the front. Anyway, you need to remove the stock bulb and all of the mounting hardware/screws. Here is a picture of a completely disassembled light.
Auto part Metal

Step 2: Heat up, 300 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Heat your oven to 300 degrees F. Get your cookie sheet and put a piece of foil down. I'm using a new set of headlights, but yours will probably be nasty and not something you want food touching the same surface. Heating up the lights does not emit any harmful noxious fumes, so no worries there. Now, place your piece of wood in the middle and place 1 light, lens up, and put it in the oven for a full 5 minutes. The hotter the sealant on the headlight gets, the easier your job will be. No, you will not melt anything. I've tested it all the way to 8 minutes before and it was fine. I did both at once because I've done this technique about 20 times, so I'm quick. I highly recommend taking your time if this is your first attempt.
Kitchen stove Stove Kitchen appliance Home appliance Oven

Step 3: Separation and GLOVES!
Put your gloves on. DO NOT TAKE THEM OFF LOL. Your headlight will be hot as hell and it will burn sensitive skin. That is your only warning haha. When the timer goes ding, pull out your light and set it at your work area. Starting with your thinnest blade screwdriver, wedge it between the lens and housing next to one of the clips, as pictured below. Once you get the first clip out, move to the next. There are 4 total. Be very careful when you pry on the plastics directly above the clip. While the light is hot, the plastic will bend, when the light starts to cool it will snap like a twig when you pry. I've done it, and odds are high you might to. But it's ok, you have 3 more that will work fine.
Shoe

All separated!
Light Headlamp Automotive lighting Auto part Metal

Step 5: Remove most of the old sealant
If your housing is still warm, go ahead and take one of your screwdrivers and start scooping out the old sealant. It doesn't have to be perfect. But get at least 80% out. Your goal is to have a space big enough for the new sealant to fill in. The picture below shows a housing half "clean" from top middle going right and an untouched portion from top middle going left.
Spoke Wheel Circle Rim Metal

If the lens cools down before you start the above step or removing the sealant starts getting super difficult, pop the housing back in the oven for 2 minutes. That's enough time to soften it up and removal much easier.
Kitchen stove Stove Gas stove Countertop Kitchen appliance

Here is a completely separated pair and the ball of removed sealant. All in all it took me about 30 minutes to do both.
Automotive lighting Headlamp Light Auto part Rim

At this point you can go on with your chosen modification. Here are a couple of pics of something I did last year. Im working on something that's a little more reliable this time around.
Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Rim

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Step 6: Adding new sealant and reassembly
I will add details about Step 6 when I get to that point :)

Feel free to ask any questions. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Nice write up Slick, thanks for taking the time to do that, might have to try this.

Reactions: SlickGrizz

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
I still have my LED rings that I bought to go inside the lens, so this makes me want to find more time I don't have for this very cool but very useless mod.

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,397 Posts
Nice write up!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why useless? This technique is the same if you are doing a retrofit on a vehicle headlight for projector and HIDs. The usefulness is only a factor of one's imagination :)

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
Your thread and info is great and useful. I was saying that my putting halo's in my headlight housings is useless. HIDs on a Grizz is SLICK.... ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,965 Posts
Why not useful? The method is the same whether you are retrofitting projector or HID headlights on a car.
five nights at freddy's
Please pay attention to the age of the threads. This is 7 years old. You won't normally get an answer when it's this old. Please start your own new post and get up to date information instead of bringing up older outdated info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts