Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for those of you that have seen my other recent posts, you know i rebuilt my carb recently. I finally found the time to put it back on today. I had replaced the spark plug and did an oil change. I was able to get the grizzly to start a cpl times, but it idled rough and quit. I figured its because it has been sitting for over a year. I have a can of seafoam im hoping will help smooth it out. I need to know how to use it. I know it can be added in the fuel. But it seems it can be added to oil also. Should i do both and how?

2001 Grizzly 600

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you read the directions on the can? Also there are a lot of videos out there on youtube.
Yeah i always look things up first before i post. Though havent found an exact answer. Ive read the can but it didnt specify anything for atvs. Ive seen ppl recommend using 1oz for a gallon of gas. And ive seen others suggest more. Only youtube videos i found showed the performance difference but not the actual application of it. I figured putting an oz or 2 in the gas tank would be fine. But i cant find much info on adding it to the oil. I guess i would just add it where the oil goes but how much should i use in the oil.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,661 Posts
What is the reason behind why you are asking if you should put it in your oil? I do recall reading somewhere about using it in oil but just don't recall if it is mentioned on the bottle. But seems if you are having fueling issues, then curious why you're mentioning the oil?

As far as for fueling, there are many, including Seafoam, who say you can't over use the stuff. I generally put 1oz SF to 1gal fuel in fuel tanks which are around my house and that also gets used in my Grizzly.

I did a lot of researching and asking around, but lately I've been consuming some oil and am convinced it is my valve seals/guides. I did a whole 8oz can of SF in about 1/2 tank of fuel along with a recommended SF spray into the throttle body with a heat cycle. I've since gone through that tank of fuel and added some fresh fuel but haven't had much time to get back out since I did that. Too early to tell if it has helped but seems the 40 miles I ran I didn't consume nearly as much oil so hopefully there will be an improvement versus paying to get the top end redone.

Per the reason I went ahead and did it, I know I had been running my Grizzly rich, not purposely though, until recently and am convinced I have some carbon build up causing some oil consumption via the valves. Hoping this will help as multiple compression checks have checked out fine and I don't believe it is a ring issue causing oil consumption.

Point is the Seafoam should be safe to run it in the amounts you are considering but read the directions. And as already mentioned, there are a lot of youtube videos out there with independents doing some experimenting. I don't recall coming across anything stating Seafoam is bad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recall that there are directions on the bottle regarding small engines. i would follow those. I have used it in the fuel tank only in my yamahas.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Motul makes a 4 stroke engine oil additive, add the Can to bike, cold motor. Start her up and run it for 15 then oil change time. My oil was getting dark and appeared dirty shorty after oil changes but after I flushed it’s staying much cleaner after the same time/mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to use it in the oil because the grizzly has been sitting for over a year and im sure there is buildup somewhere. I ll look at some more vids and check seafoams directions for small engines.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
2001 Grizzly 600
remove and clean the carb and throw some seafoam in the tank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts