Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004 660 Grizzly for my son, after bringing it home he took it for a ride and it backfired very loud through the exhaust and now it wont start. It turns over and there is a clinking noise on the clutch side as the motor turns over.

I've checked the carburetor mounting flange and it looks fine as I've seen some bikes were the carb blows out of its mount.

I'd like to get it running again, what should I check next?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Agree with above. Check the timing. Good chance it sheared the flywheel woodruff key..

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Change the plug, even if it is getting spark. Exact same thing happened to me, and a new plug fixed it.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
BDSNJ is correct. Your back fire could have came from weak spark on a flooded motor. Start with the simple things first

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked with one of the Yamaha dealers and the guy told me to try a new plug as mentioned above, hopefully it will start and not have any internal engine damage.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Get an extra to keep around. They're cheap.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
How do I check the woodruff key?
You have to remove the flywheel. But before you do that, first check the timing. If timing is ok, then the woodruff key will be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have to remove the flywheel. But before you do that, first check the timing. If timing is ok, then the woodruff key will be fine.
How do I go about checking the timing?

I have 35 years experience of working on my own cars but nothing when it comes to motorcycle engines.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Did you replace the spark plug?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I would hold off on getting into timing until you can eliminate the simple things ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed the plug but I'm not getting any power through the starter solenoid, is there a way to test it? This has been an intermittent problem with it, could it be the starter button?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I changed the plug but I'm not getting any power through the starter solenoid, is there a way to test it? This has been an intermittent problem with it, could it be the starter button?
Check the fuses on the solenoid. One could be blown.
Have you checked battery voltage?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
It's more than likely the solenoid itself is done. They do fail. They are cheap to buy on eBay (about $20 delivered).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I've got it turning over and all I can hear is clunk clunk clunk coming from the clutch side of the engine.

What should I check next?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Turn it over with the plug out and see if it pumping air. My guess is your looking at a motor build. Shine a flash light into the spark plug hole and look at top of the piston se what you see

1 - 20 of 21 Posts