Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I was coming off the lake from ice fishing and was going a bit to fast for the conditions (glare ice and no snow) and i went to take a tight corner on the river I live on and couldn't make it and hit a dock !

I haven't really looked at it but from what I can tell its mostly the plastics that are damaged and the front bumper bar that is mangled. Also everything is pushed back, so the side panels and fenders are cracked as well.

I'm going to tear into it this weekend to see whats all damaged and I have my fingers crossed that there is no frame damage !

Pics to follow

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ouch that looks like it hurt. Hopefully it’ll be just plastics and a bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
that’s why I have full coverage insurance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that’s why I have full coverage insurance!
I have full coverage as well, I just don't know if i should make a claim and then risk having an accident claim on my record. I have never had to make a claim on anything so that's new to me

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have full coverage as well, I just don't know if i should make a claim and then risk having an accident claim on my record. I have never had to make a claim on anything so that's new to me
I have had to before when I wrecked one of my wheelers. Called me up and gave them all the info. They paid for everything to be fixed at the dealer and I didn’t notice my premiums go up or anything. All I had to do is pay my deductible

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ouch..

Well my general rule of thumb is double the deductible.

If your deductible is $500 and the damage is less than or close to $1000 than its not worth the claim as you will potentially see your premiums go up or possibly even cancellation after they pay it out...

For example, homeowners deductible is $1000, had damage that was about $2500, the better play in the long run was to just do the work out of pocket. This happened to a friend of mine and his premiums went up almost $800 per year...

Hopefully you weren't hurt.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch..

Well my general rule of thumb is double the deductible.

If your deductible is $500 and the damage is less than or close to $1000 than its not worth the claim as you will potentially see your premiums go up or possibly even cancellation after they pay it out...

For example, homeowners deductible is $1000, had damage that was about $2500, the better play in the long run was to just do the work out of pocket. This happened to a friend of mine and his premiums went up almost $800 per year...

Hopefully you weren't hurt.
Thanks for the info! from what I have checked online for part prices it will be roughly $800, assuming there is no major damage that I can not see right now. I'm probably going to stay away from the claim

Reactions: thrashingcows

·
Premium Member
10,621 Posts
Without removing parts its tough to see everything (not meant to be simple stupid), but if the front vertical frame members where the winch plate mounts aren't bent or showing crinkled paint a slight tweaking, and the steering didn't get knocked out of line, I bet there isn't major hidden damage.
I didn't see a bent wheel or read about a tire failure, so plastics and a new bumper may be all
the expensive parts that are needed.
Can you imagine if the things had air bags?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Man! I hope you’re okay. I hate to see the Griz looking like that!

·
Registered
322 Posts
How's the Dock you hit?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Without removing parts its tough to see everything (not meant to be simple stupid), but if the front vertical frame members where the winch plate mounts aren't bent or showing crinkled paint a slight tweaking, and the steering didn't get knocked out of line, I bet there isn't major hidden damage.
I didn't see a bent wheel or read about a tire failure, so plastics and a new bumper may be all
the expensive parts that are needed.
Can you imagine if the things had air bags?
Thanks for the info as I’ve never done any major damage I wasn’t really sure how to tell if the frame was bent besides an obvious bend. As for the front vertical part I just went out and took a look and it seems to be fine. The only issue I can see is the tabs where to bumper attach are bent down. I’ll attach a pic

Also something in the steering is off I believe, if I have both tires straight and facing forward the bars are turned a bit to the left, I’m thinking either the bars are bent or maybe something in the steering ?

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: cornfedinohio

·
Registered
134 Posts
Look at your bottom frame tubes that run the length of the quad. Check right behind where the the rear front a-arm mount attaches. Ask me how i know?? I crashed my quad and it appeared to have less damage than yours, and my frame is tweaked. That would throw the whole front angle of your quad off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts