Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i am a broke college guy and my 05 660 broke my bank i obviously dont have the money or time to bore out my engine. But due to my love for deep mud i am planning my modifications for when the money comes in. So far i will be lifting 2in knobby tires and hopefully snorkeling. But as far as where to get more rip and tear im wondering where to go as far as clutch kits and anything else you guys have done to tune. I know shes got tons of power but with those bigger tires ill be losing some.

·
Premium Member
9,286 Posts
Raise the pulley ratio. The parts I used are in the signature. No kit includes all the right stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,286 Posts
I'm running rich and changing jets lowered the power output.
I opened the air box lid for more air and went back to stock jetting, then added the hotter plug. The color is good and the grizz runs great though the rpm range. The C.V.T. mods get the power to the ground now that the engine output is right. The mpg is higher with the increase in performance.
I've been running hotter plugs in everything for years with no problems. I think its part of an overall better combination.

·
Premium Member
9,286 Posts
Jim. What was the part # of the original plug and the part # of what you are using now?
Here.
The big number(DPR8EA-9) is the stock plug and the small number(DPR6EA-9) is the hotter number.

I keep both around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You seem to know what you are talking about. So what should I do to my 2014 550 to give it enough power to wheelie in high range. Lol I'm new to the mod thing and have no Idea what people mean some times

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
You seem to know what you are talking about. So what should I do to my 2014 550 to give it enough power to wheelie in high range. Lol I'm new to the mod thing and have no Idea what people mean some times
Trade it for a 700--- any money you dump into a 550 is just chasing 700 power. Start with a 700 and build on it. You could always max out your cvt to get the wheels off the ground but you won't have the jam in you shorts to keep them there with power

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Trade it for a 700--- any money you dump into a 550 is just chasing 700 power. Start with a 700 and build on it. You could always max out your cvt to get the wheels off the ground but you won't have the jam in you shorts to keep them there with power
x2 do what he says...

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
Agreed. And then create a new account- dons GRIZZ700.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Hey...dons_GRIZZ550...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin..
You may as well take over this thread the OP hasn't been around for over a month.

So you want to wheelie..I'm not much into wheelies. But hear is a little advise.
A lot of doing a wheelie is technique. So you will need to practice.
Is your machine running good?
Easier if you're running stock tires. Run 'em at 3.5lbs make sure that they are equal or you 'll be all over the trail.
Adjust your rear shocks on the soft side.
If you got the rear stabilizer off put it back on. Same reason as equal psi in the tires.
Do you have a winch,front storage, and maybe a bumper on it? The extra weight will make it harder.
You might need/want to put a 1.5 mm shim in it.
Keep the stock weights for now. Once the wheels are off the ground you want the griz to shift out faster or you'll run out of juice.

Get out in a big flat open area for practice. Not on the road!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts