Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a ride on the Grizz today, with very little snow left in this neck of the woods the trails are covered in ice, the hills are really bad, but sense I bought some ice studs from "Grip Studs" off a ebay I finally got a chance to put them to good use, man o man what a difference I never spun a wheel, the studs are carbide so they should last and also have a easy way to remove them after the ice breaks up so I can get a few seasons out of them, I am really pleased with this type of stud and they will not pull out like others will with there different thread pattern they have.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I was out for a ride on the Grizz today, with very little snow left in this neck of the woods the trails are covered in ice, the hills are really bad, but sense I bought some ice studs from "Grip Studs" off a ebay I finally got a chance to put them to good use, man o man what a difference I never spun a wheel, the studs are carbide so they should last and also have a easy way to remove them after the ice breaks up so I can get a few seasons out of them, I am really pleased with this type of stud and they will not pull out like others will with there different thread pattern they have.
[MENTION=937]@griz7, are those the #1500?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I’ve been saying it for years.. there is No comparison.. Studs kick butt on icy trails.
I use auto studs in my tires.
You have to pre drill and use a stud install gun..
I don’t take them out, and they don’t get dull. They just keep scratching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[MENTION=937]@griz7, are those the #1500?
Yes they are, the solid tungsten carbide shaft, very unique big auger style thread really take a bite in your tire lug, very easy to install or remove with its design and installation tool, they are abit pricy but well worth it.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I’ve been saying it for years.. there is No comparison.. Studs kick butt on icy trails.

I 100% agree. Been using studs for years. Best thing that a person can do for winter riding in icy conditions.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Nice job on the studs, they do make a big difference, studs are a must for safe winter trail riding, its a very bad feeling sliding backwards down a steep icy hill sideways on your wheeler.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yes they are, the solid tungsten carbide shaft, very unique big auger style thread really take a bite in your tire lug, very easy to install or remove with its design and installation tool, they are abit pricy but well worth it.
@griz7, you have the same tires as I do. Any chance you could post a picture of the stud layout like the picture that @Madkawi750 posted?

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@griz7, you have the same tires as I do. Any chance you could post a picture of the stud layout like the picture that @Madkawi750 posted?
I will try, i'm not that great at posting pictures but I will give it a go tomorrow for you, my tires are about 1/3 wore so far with 2800 miles on them.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Some tires I’ve done.
Stock Polaris 850 Tires
26” Carlisle 489 II’s

27” STI outback XT

27” STI black diamond XTRs

The black diamonds are my all time favorite tires.. studded like this, they stuck to ice like crap to a blanket.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some tires I’ve done.
Stock Polaris 850 Tires
26” Carlisle 489 II’s

27” STI outback XT

The black diamonds are my all time favorite tires.. studded like this, they stuck to ice like crap to a blanket.

What is the name brand of that outside tire, is that a black diamond also? looks like a nice aggressive tire

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
What is the name brand of that outside tire, is that a black diamond also? looks like a nice aggressive tire
Are you referring to the Interco Reptile tire on the right?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes. I believe he is. The studded one is a STI black diamond and the one that's not studded is an interco reptile.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
120 Posts
Some tires I’ve done.
Stock Polaris 850 Tires
26” Carlisle 489 II’s

27” STI outback XT

Those studded tires are a work of art! I take it you have an automotive stud gun/machine? Can you tell me what make model gun you use, and studs as well, what size hole do you drill and how deep....inquiring minds want to know. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I use a Bruno Wessel stud gun and # 15 studs. On stock tires with less tread depth you’ll need the shorter #11 studs.
The number equals the amount of /32 of an inch long they are.
#15 are 15/32 long.
The gun I have will fire up to #17 but they’re are hard to install.
I found 15 to be the Sweet spot.
The hole I drill is the diameter of the stud.
I forgot the exact size.
The depth I drill is the full length of the stud. I use a depth stop black taped to the drill bit. Drill too deep and Hisssssssssssss..... flat tire. Lol.
Use a very soapy water mix to lube the hole before I stick my tip in.
The gun tip.. haha. Minds out of the gutter!! Lol
The guns are very expensive. I got mine used on eBay for $220. There are knock off brands for cheap. They seem to work fine but are made of cheap metal and plastic. You’d have to be gentle with them I’d guess.
The parts from the cheap on fit right onto my gun, so it’s a direct copy.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
More...
the studs are sold in boxes of 1000 from local auto parts stores. About $65 Canadian for a box.
Careful not to get studs with “alu” in the number code. (#15alu)... those are aluminum and will not work well at all. They wear too fast, exposing to much of the carbide pin and they get ripped out. Early.
I know.. I wasted time using them unknowingly.

Reactions: thrashingcows

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

They are 27” interco Reptile Radials (14” rim)
Sitting next to 27” black diamonds (12” rim) both with 5psi.
The reptiles are not on a a machine in the pic so they’ll appear a hair taller than they’d sit on the Atv.
They’re now on my wife’s 2013 Polaris 850xp.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Poor Kawi, has to work on his wife's popo all the time when he could be riding :-( Lol. Kinda sucks that she has more power though. I guess that's kinda norm though. @#$& did I just type that.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I will try, i'm not that great at posting pictures but I will give it a go tomorrow for you, my tires are about 1/3 wore so far with 2800 miles on them.
@griz7, if a picture is a pain, do you know about how many studs you used per tire? Thanks..

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Poor Kawi, has to work on his wife's popo all the time when he could be riding :-( Lol. Kinda sucks that she has more power though. I guess that's kinda norm though. @#$& did I just type that.

Haha.. true story!
I work on that Popo way too much. It only has 1300 miles on it and its gots more parts than I can list.
I just did all the wheel bearings, shock bushings and driveshaft U-Joints. It’s all tight again for another 50 miles.... then it’ll be loose and clunky again.
She loves it, or I wouldn’t keep it.
It really does ride easy, and is so so so stable. It goes exactly where you steer it. Zero understeer and no body roll.
Drives way smaller feeling than it is. The power steering is the best I’ve ever ridden by a country mile. Nothing compares to it.
It’s got lots of mid and top speed but will NOT wheelie like the grizzly.
I HATE the 4x4 system, especially in snow. I want 4x4 all the time, not when some speed sensor thinks I should have it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts