Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else here from the western mountains of Idaho? We have hundreds of miles of trails to ride if anyone gets in the neighborhood....

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Welcome to the site.......We ride all over sw Idaho....have a lot in Donnelly, couple miles south of tammarack....

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Checking in from Boise :) Idaho is just packed with open trail systems no matter what part of the state you live in!! I love it!! Welcome to the site..

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Northern Idaho here. Cascade is a really nice area. I have a brother that lives in Boise so I head down that way periodically. Unfortunately it seems like the Forest Service keeps trying to close down areas up here. Logging roads that have been open for years get obliterated and two track trails get designated as single track only. Very frustrating that ATVing is not being embraced the way it is in other states ie: Southern and Southeastern states. Oh well, still lots of areas to ride here in the Coeur d'Alene area.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Mike , Our clubs down here actually have been getting a few trails opened up down here .. We work closely with BLM, Parks n Rec, State and the Forest Service.We also are on good terms with many of the local ranchers around the area. We do a lot of maintenance on many trails around here.. Don't know if you belong or not but if not you should get involved with a local club. We have 5 local clubs here but we are state wide.. Look up "Idaho state atv association " and you can find listings of all the clubs in the state that belong to the association ... I know there are a few there in CDA area...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the Boise ATV club has done as much or more to promote the sport here in this area than many clubs in other states do. They are linked with at least 6 other clubs and the trail work, good relation they have with the Boise NF is beyond the comprehension of many folks. We are proud to be members of the Boise Trail Riders ATV Club. The only area I have seen a better relationship between clubs and the NF is in the Maryville area of Utah on the Paiute Trail system.

We are very avid riders and have ridden on trails from the Canadian border to the Mexican border and from CA to FL with many stops in between.

YEPSAID, you pass right by our home when you go from Emmett to Donnelly, through Cascade. Holler sometime and we'll go for a ride. We can actually ride from the house, down through Long Valley, Round Valley, Smiths Ferry to Sage Hen Reservoir and then towards your way and Emmett.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Cool... We were just at Sagehen last week end playing in the snow.. Came over from High Valley..When you mention Boise doing so much you have to include the other local clubs as we all work with each other on every project that goes on ..I belong to the Emmett Rough Riders(board of directors for 11 years)Our club does the trail cleaning( with help from our sister clubs) around the Saghen trail systems as well as many other projects that we help them with. Up until last year my pops took care of all the B.O.R. fences around the reservoir ....Yeah maybe towards the spring we will hit up Van Wyick trail and West Mtn , Dodson Pass , Mill Creek Summit and such...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Northern Idaho here. Cascade is a really nice area. I have a brother that lives in Boise so I head down that way periodically. Unfortunately it seems like the Forest Service keeps trying to close down areas up here. Logging roads that have been open for years get obliterated and two track trails get designated as single track only. Very frustrating that ATVing is not being embraced the way it is in other states ie: Southern and Southeastern states. Oh well, still lots of areas to ride here in the Coeur d'Alene area.
Valley county has filed 7 or so law suits against the FS over this problem and so far has won all but one and that one is still pending in Federal court. Lots of the roads that they closed or refused to maintain so they could be used are now back open.
Valley County is a burr under the saddle of Boise NF.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Valley county has filed 7 or so law suits against the FS over this problem and so far has won all but one and that one is still pending in Federal court. Lots of the roads that they closed or refused to maintain so they could be used are now back open.
Valley County is a burr under the saddle of Boise NF.

And this is good and i thank the group up there that has been pushing this !!!!! From what i understand most of these that you are talking about are old historic roads that existed before the FS was in place. My buddy and the president of our local club has talked to me a bit about this since he has met some of the people doing this.. We work well with John from the FS and we are also getting some trails up in your area worked on... The one we have been working on for a couple years now is the old Thunder Mt road in to Riordon Lake off of Johnson Creek... You could ride in but had to come out same way.. They brought in a trail cat and made a new section of trail that connects with the road that takes you to Meadow Creek lookout.. Our local clubs spent some time giving a hand in doing this along with Ray(our pres) spending 3 weeks last year... We will be working on/finishing it up this month... FS is bringing in some pressure treated lumber to finish up some work on bridges(via helicopter) and completing the trail with a dedication ceremony... John(FS) awarded Ray a plague for his help on this at our last club meeting and i believe(not positive) the new signage will say something about this also....Keep me posted Bob about anything else you hear up in that neighborhood.... Thanks Ed....

·
Registered
760 Posts
We live just north of spokane Wa, but we head over towards kellogg ID a couple times a year a ride the Big Creek area around Silver Mountain (just got back from there last week). Definitely love to ride in that area.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I live in Nampa.
DaleB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts