Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 model machine. The vin tag on the frame behind left front wheel reads 5y4aj28y88a001059. When searching this is comes up as a 2008 big bear 400 and some sites a 450. However in a recent part searching extravaganza there is no way its a big bear. Its absolutely a grizzly when i look for parts. The give away to me is the front rack connection to the guard bar/front bumper being horizontal bolts vs the grizzy being vertical like mine, and also the actual front guard itself. My machine has part 1d9-f845n-00-00 with the winch holes built in. The big bear uses a different one. Also my machine has little side panels that cover some motor by your knees under the front of the seat. The left side has a hole in it where the fuel knob is for on off res. The big bears don't. What gives? Where can i find the model number on this machine such as yfmxxxx? The only plates ive ever located are the vin on front frame and 401cc stamp somewhere. Thanks for any help.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The body code under the seat on the plastics shows 1d1p-10 . My research shows the 1d1p to mean 08 grizzly as well. Is there anywhere to locate the yfm400 model number? Only a handful of sites gave me the yfm450fwan like you showed. Others gave me the 2008 400.

· Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
371 Posts
Well, I found that similar tag under my seat and then did a bit more digging on the chassis and found this on the left side, front as seen from sitting on it. It's on the vertical bar and shows the actual build month/year and the complete VIN. Funny thing is, on my actual motor vehicle registration slip, it show's as a 2009 although built in 08/2008.
Automotive tire Hood Wood Motor vehicle Tread

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very typical for a new model year to be manufactured in the previous calander year. I think Yamaha made a grizzly and kodiak 350 & 450 back then. Send a picture of the machine.
Agree. But why does it come up on some vin scans as a 2009 450 big bear and some a grizzly 400? Its clearly a grizzly 400 per the plastic code, and front bumper guard fitment and rack among other parts. Will post some pics

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I found that similar tag under my seat and then did a bit more digging on the chassis and found this on the left side, front as seen from sitting on it. It's on the vertical bar and shows the actual build month/year and the complete VIN. Funny thing is, on my actual motor vehicle registration slip, it show's as a 2009 although built in 08/2008. View attachment 104672
Being a year off is normal. Some vin sites are showing 450 big bear though and some showing 400 grizzly. The engine is 400cc tagged. Body has the 1d1p tag for grizzly. Has grizzly front guard and racks and side panels. By all counts its grizzly 400 2008 model.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree. But why does it come up on some vin scans as a 2009 450 big bear and some a grizzly 400? Its clearly a grizzly 400 per the plastic code, and front bumper guard fitment and rack among other parts. Will post some pics
Very typical for a new model year to be manufactured in the previous calander year. I think Yamaha made a grizzly and kodiak 350 & 450 back then. Send a picture of the machine.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Green

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts