Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 grizzly 600 I bought it not running got it to run barley smoked like crazy so I took it apart rebuilt the top end rings and seals and now I can't get the starter to stay engaged new starter abbendix gear stator killswitch and I've burnt up 3 starter relays trying to get it to turn over but it's like the motor has to much compression then when it finally turn all the way over the abbendix falls out plz helpp

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC. Somebody will help ya get it squared away.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Welcome 2 GC.

·
Registered
983 Posts
ouch, Not to be a downer and pardon my frankness, but have you rebuilt engines before?

Give us some feedback on the questions below...

thinking that if it ran but smoked before and you suspect "like the motor has to(o) much compression" then its sounds like you may have introduced the problem during the rebuild.

Did you use the FSM when you had any engine work done? checked/ measured then bored the cylinder? rings/piston correct for the bore, etc etc etc

Does the engine roll over easily when you pull the spark plug and hand crank the engine? no, yes?

I would recheck (1) cam timing, if you removed the balancer gear, then (2) that timing dot.

or electrical draw on the starter? bind in engine, bad ground causing high current draw? Is the new starter ok , whats with "burnt up 3 starter relays"

as in overheated the lead to the starter? or from the ignition switch???

Can you help with any of this info...

walt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have rebuilt car engine I have I was able to crank it before and all it did was slit a spider I do believe I introduced the problem but I have rechecked time in I had the head at the machine shop were I had the check everything I didn't over bore it I had to new intake valves put in idk why it's burning up relays I think tht's were my problem is

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And idk ways happening to the relays iv had one just start clicking the next one stayed engaged and the newest one just won't do anything

·
Registered
983 Posts
Gotcha that helps...whats "slit a spider" anyway

lets eliminate a wiring issue to /at starter...got a car battery and good jumper cables?

connect jumper cables to car batt..

then negative to ground point near starter...touch pos to lug on starter does the motor roll over easily ..let us know...back in a couple of hours...gotta run..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Srry spit and spudder and I've done that sometimes it would turn over most the times it would do one rotation and the bendix will pop out then after 20 min of trying it will burn up a brand new oem relay

·
Registered
983 Posts
NO! go directly from a known good battery directly to the starter using jumper cables....NOT USING ANY WIRING ON THE BIKE..or the relay..

I'm trying to eliminate a voltage drop in the start circuit.

if still unsure let me know..

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Welcome from Nevada!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Um ...maybe some 600 guys can help here...I looked through the service manual as well as Parts diagram and i don't have a clue what abendix falls off means..

starter free spins? starter stops, i give

sorry i tried..

walt

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Welcome to GC.

Not sure if there are too many guys with 600 experience that are regulars here but someone is bound to be able to help. Just be patient.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The starter spin the abendix then the abebdix spins the flywheel the starter it staying engaged with the abendix but the abendix isn't staying engaged with the flywheel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay I'll give it a shot I forgot yes it's called the starter drive so I look in my Manuel and it says the compression is supposed to be 101.5 does that sound right to u

1 - 20 of 20 Posts