Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is maybe a very stupid issue but I am having troubles finding a 17 mm that fits the hole of the nuts in my ITP rims. I hope some of you more experienced guys can give me a hint.

This key fits

The one I used until it broke

No socket for my impact gun fits, the walls of the socket are too thick to fit in the hole where the nuts are.

The ideal is to remove the nuts with the impact and then use the torque wrench to put them back, but since no socket fits I can’t do that. Should I replace the nuts for longer ones so they come out enough to use a socket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Reactions: 8yn815

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
On my 2014 the stock lug nuts are 17mm. When I went to ITP wheels I went with the 14mm 10x1.25 lug nuts. Then you can get a 14mm socket in there with no problem.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
You need aftermarket wheel lug nuts that use a 14mm socket. Many wheels actually come with the lug nuts.

You may be able to use a regular, non-impact 3/8 drive 17mm socket to get the lug nuts off now. That may fit.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need aftermarket wheel lug nuts that use a 14mm socket. Many wheels actually come with the lug nuts.

Makes sense. I didn’t know that, bought the rims second hand from a guy that didn’t seem to know much either. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I use a standard (non-impact) socket and my 18V impact driver, not a true impact wrench. It has more than enough power as proper torque is only 40 ft lbs. Which reminds me, I do need to find a 6 point socket though as what I've been using is a 12 point.

Edit: I always use a torque wrench when reinstalling.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly 700
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello! I received the after market lug nuts and problem solved. Now I have a new one ;-)

The front right wheel it is hard to turn and makes a clinking noise when I turn it. I removed the brake, still did it. Front left does not make this noise. I tried 4WD and the front right wheel turned and I could stop it with my hand, impossible with the diff-lock. So it seems the diff lock is fine, but the sound seems to come from where the diff is located. Boot is also fine. What do you think it is?

Video here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s276vp1llp40ls/2018-03-09 18.46.56.mov?dl=0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts