Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Grizzly 700 started making this clicking noise recently when you put it in gear almost like as if you put a card on a bicycle wheel and for the life of me cannot figure out what is going on. It doesn’t sound like it’s coming from the rear but more towards the driveshaft. I have checked to make sure nothing was rubbing or stuck. I’m at a loss machine only has like 347 miles on it. Also a side note I’ve had nothing, but issues since I’ve had it with it overheating within 60 miles dealer said not enough coolant and then the shocks leaking after 80 miles got them replaced and now that warranty is gone I’m dealing with this. Any thoughts or suggestions on what it can be dealer is 3 1/2 hours away and I won’t be headed that direction for another month due to work.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
Shoot a video, post to YouTube and link it here. That may help our membership diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,383 Posts
Hey..Grizzila92..Help us isolate the area. Does it do that in neutral?
Does it do that when in neutral when turning in the engine by hand?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it does this while in Neutral, Park and Reverse when both the machine is turned on and being driven to it being turned off and jacking up the end to spin the rear tires

·
Premium Member
7,383 Posts
Yes it does this while in Neutral, Park and Reverse when both the machine is turned on and being driven to it being turned off and jacking up the end to spin the rear tires
You can turn the rear wheels while in park? I was thinking it sound like the parking cog is broken, bent or for some reason not engaging fully. That seems to pin point it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,383 Posts
BTW..We have been riding out your way the last few winters..Just love that area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is beautiful country I’m currently in the southern part of the state will be headed up north for the hunts so I can finally enjoy the mountains

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
So this just started?
And not in park.....
I would get all four in the air and remove all wheels and determine if something isn't caught in/around the brake caliper(s).
I guess it does it when turning in both directions? I ask as something like a piece of wire wrapped around something could be in there.
By the video, to me, it doesn't sound like from inside the engine cases. And the front drive shaft turns with the back.
And when you say with the engine running, you found this when riding? When out on the trail or from a cold start just getting started?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
We need more information here. Did this just happen all of a sudden? Did it happen while riding or were you stopped?

Going only by the video, it sounds like the gears are simply not completely meshed together, caused by an incorrectly adjusted shifter. Jack the bike back up, rotate the wheels again and have someone move the shifter around to see if something engages.

If the shifter is not the case, then you could have a stripped splines on a driveshaft, or a broken middle gear.
Pray to whatever you believe in that it's not anything to do with the middle gear. That's expensive to fix.

I truly do believe it's just the gear selector needs to be adjusted. Hoping so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This happened like a month and a half ago on my last ride. It was a night ride on a dry river bed nothing extreme mostly driving from one spot to another and having a small fire in between stops. On the ride back I recall hearing a snap (after I had put the bike in gear) when I started driving forward. I did not notice any difference or hear any noise like this on the ride back even when loading the bike in the back of the trailer I did not hear this noise. It was not until the next day when I went to offload the bike is when I first encountered the noise when I was reversing the bike off the trailer and when I was driving it into the Garage. I then proceeded to wash the bike to make sure nothing was caught on or wrapped around the CV’s or something like that, but did not find anything. I then put the bike in neutral and pushed it back inside the garage and experienced the same noise so I then put it in gear for both H & L raises the back end and spun the tires hearing the same noise I then put in reverse while lifted and received the same result. I have not lifted on all fours yet mainly because I’ve only Bering hearing from it mainly from the rear to middle area. On a side note and this might or might not help I noticed when the bike I engaged in park even when I push it forward the front tires seem to rotate some and also when in park if you rock back and fourth you hear the same click once when rocker forward and once when rocking back

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does it shift in to all the gears with out problem?? Also if you use 4X4 is the noise the same, better, worse??

·
Registered
297 Posts
OK, Does it make the noise if all 4 tires are off the ground??

·
Registered
297 Posts
Jack one rear tire off the ground and turn the tire that is off the ground Or have someone hold one rear tire while you turn the other rear tire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts