Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking.(never a good sign!!.........................LOL) What if a person were to remove the inner front fenders on a 2016+ grizz, would it help with heat? or even another benefit? Would it be o.k. or not?
(I would imagine we would get more mud on us from the tires, but being open so the machine can "breathe" would be good. No?)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have an 02 Grizzly 660 and it has plastic protectors in the front wheel wells to protect the rear master cylinder on one side and the radiator overflow tank on the other. I would refrain from removing those for obvious reasons (rocks, mud, dirt, branches). Im not familiar with the 2016+ Grizzly but in your case, do they protect anything? If so, I wouldn't remove anything. You want to do this to keep the engine cooler or because it's overheating?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 02 Grizzly 660 and it has plastic protectors in the front wheel wells to protect the rear master cylinder on one side and the radiator overflow tank on the other. I would refrain from removing those for obvious reasons (rocks, mud, dirt, branches). Im not familiar with the 2016+ Grizzly but in your case, do they protect anything? If so, I wouldn't remove anything. You want to do this to keep the engine cooler or because it's overheating?

Not overheating, just keep the engine a bit cooler and for my (and other 2016+ owners) knowledge.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Gonna go a little redneck here. But the 2002 660's had a side scoop of sorts to help direct air to the engine. What if you built a rig with pvc to direct more airflow to the engine? Say bring it under fender and route it to the front of the engine for increased airflow. I can simply cheat and just take off the little black pieces off the sides to get air flowing better. Lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gonna go a little redneck here. But the 2002 660's had a side scoop of sorts to help direct air to the engine. What if you built a rig with pvc to direct more airflow to the engine? Say bring it under fender and route it to the front of the engine for increased airflow. I can simply cheat and just take off the little black pieces off the sides to get air flowing better. Lol.

i like it

·
Registered
370 Posts
Gonna go a little redneck here. But the 2002 660's had a side scoop of sorts to help direct air to the engine.
Just for your info, that scoop you're talking about is directed to the rear brake caliper. It scoops air up from the mid/rear upper left side of the ATV and blows out on the calliper/disc.

The side covers have "gills" to help get air to the engine while moving down the trail.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just for your info, that scoop you're talking about is directed to the rear brake caliper. It scoops air up from the mid/rear upper left side of the ATV and blows out on the calliper/disc.

The side covers have "gills" to help get air to the engine while moving down the trail.
Oh yes. I meant the gills... I know about the scoop, very neat setup if you ask me. But yes I am talking about the gills, they seem built to scoop air so I just called them scoops.

Sent from my expensive phone using a fancy app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts