Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Grizzly 700 EPS Red
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I guess this is my introduction/seeking advice post. I have a red 2008 Grizzly 700 EPS. The current mods on it are as follows:
Wet clutch slug kit from JBS
EHS Tuner
K&N air filter
STI HD4 14” wheels with 26” Kenda Bearclaw HTRs
Powermadd Sentinel Handguards
Offbrand lightbar
Updated footwells and dip stick cover
Fuel filter mod for fuel pressure regulator
Horn
ODI Rogue 130mm grips (too long, should have gotten 120 mm)
Upgraded halogen bulbs
Smitty 3.0 winch with synthetic rope
KFI hitch receiver
Plugged the EPS motor
OMI Steering Stem Mount
I’m sure there are more that I can’t think of.
Possible future mods:
Stator cooling update
Elka Stage 3 shocks
HMF Titan QS exhaust
Iron Baltic Plastic Skid Plates
Maybe a BBK??? Don’t want to sacrifice any reliability.
Some setup of clutch kit. Don’t know yet. I want a setup thats as fast if not faster than stock, no loss on the bottom nor top end from OEM with my bigger tires and wheels.
Oversized OEM foot pegs
Pod Mod
Third headlight
Now, for the third headlight. I want to go with a black housing and a 2016 gauge mount. Only problem is that I am not sure what are all of the modifications necessary for this mod. I know that I will have to extend the wiring for the gauge and maybe make some sort of cover for the old location of the gauge. Will my the stock 08’ handlebars work with the third headlight? Will the wires and cables interfere with the third headlight plastics? I found next to no info about this topic yet I have seen it done to a Grizzly 700 on Craigslist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
It appears that the headlight assembly will fit on you machine.
It doesn't appear that your meter will fit in the head light assembly.
I would say that the 2016 meter will not plug and play on the 08. You would need to compare the wiring of each.

·
Registered
2008 Grizzly 700 EPS Red
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I looked into the gauge situation to see what will work and i found that the '07-'15 gauges seem to fit onto the third headlight gauge mounts for the '16-'18 models. The plug for them even seem to be the same. Yamaha only changed the the shape and the backlight. 2019 and up have a different, more sophisticated plug and the plug is in a different location. Now I just need to figure out the total price of everything I need, the color i want, red or black, and go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys. John from Daphne, Alabama. Brand new to the board. I'm getting ready to purchase a new Grizzly 700, and I was curious as to whether anyone knew the specifics/differences between the '20 models and the '21s. I know I can probably get a better deal on a '20 that's still hanging around, but what might I be missing out on with the '21? thanks, and glad to be here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys. John from Daphne, Alabama. Brand new to the board. I'm getting ready to purchase a new Grizzly 700, and I was curious as to whether anyone knew the specifics/differences between the '20 models and the '21s. I know I can probably get a better deal on a '20 that's still hanging around, but what might I be missing out on with the '21? thanks, and glad to be here!
found this in case anybody else had the same question.
2020 vs 2021 Grizzly

·
Registered
2 Posts
They appear to be the same except for color, wheels and tires.

I am just curious where I can find a 2020 model. There does not seem to be any 20 or 21's around middle Tennessee. Anyone care to share new ones out there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
They appear to be the same except for color, wheels and tires.

I am just curious where I can find a 2020 model. There does not seem to be any 20 or 21's around middle Tennessee. Anyone care to share new ones out there?
yeah, I am finding that inventory is really low everywhere. I wonder if dealers will sometimes help each other out if a customer is looking for something specific. this is my first ATV purchase, and I'm wondering if I'm even gonna be able to find what I want anywhere.

·
Registered
944 Posts
yeah, I am finding that inventory is really low everywhere. I wonder if dealers will sometimes help each other out if a customer is looking for something specific. this is my first ATV purchase, and I'm wondering if I'm even gonna be able to find what I want anywhere.
Inventory is low everywhere, across the US & Canada. Most dealers are telling customers several months wait for a bike you order. Pretty much anything coming in for inventory is already spoken for. Not just Yamaha, all brands. Covid restrictions reduced the workforce, therefore production slowed down. Now we are feeling the effects.

My coworker was planning on selling his 08 450 kodiak ad getting a new 700, but dealer told him atleast late July or August before he will get a new one in for him. They have a spreadsheet on the computer with names and phone numbers for each product, his name is on the 700 kodiak list now but there are over 170 people ahead of him. The grizzly list was in the 140s. We went to visit the other dealer just out of town, nicer place, just 45 min drive... same situation except his lists were longer

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
@johnnyk71
@TENNESSEEGRIZZLY

Please do not hijack threads. You guys should to start you own posts.

Sorry guys I missed the header for these posts.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Grizzly 700 EPS Red
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well guys, after some planning and research and trying to find a cheaper black front cover (the black ones run for around $105 while the other colors average at around $10), I ordered the parts and installed the third headlight. Here is what I found:
If you have the Powermadd Sentinel hangduards and the Powermadd brackets, the ones specifically for the 1st gen Grizzly 700 and 550, then you could run the brake cables above the brackets, but it will not be an easy fit with the plastics.
The third headlights uses, I think, 16-14 gauge bullet connectors. You might have to use some electrical tape.
The wiring for the display will have to be extended about 16”. Remember, FIRST disconnect the battery before cutting the wires. I didn’t and blew a 15 amp fuse on my stator. The blown fuse cause the screen to light up and the EPS light to shine, but nothing was being displayed, it was just a blank green screen.
When extending the gauge wiring, it is better to take off the front rack. Always cut the extension wires too long just so you can fix any mistakes you make. I also used plastic flex pipe to protect the wired from rubbing.
You will also need to trim a part pf the plastics for the third light plastics to fit and move freely. You can see it in the pictures.
The gauge itself fits almost perfectly inside the housing. It goes in and bolts right up with no issues. The only thing is that there are tiny gaps because the 2016 Grizzly 700 and 2008 have different gauge shapes, but seem to be compatible.
Remember to cut the plastics before you install the third headlight so you can have space when you go to install it.
I know that there must be a better way of connecting the third headlight to the main headlights, but I just used some T-taps, taped them up and called them good.
I’m sure I am missing some other details, but its mostly straight forward. The total costs for me is around $220, but thats not including all the connectors and tape and things that we needed to buy. The third headlight works and so does the gauge. The main reason I did this mod was for practicality of having the gauge closer without spending the time and money getting a new(er) Grizzly. Also because I like modding my Grizz. If anyone wants to cut any costs, don’t buy the black cover, it’s ridiculously expensive.

I hope this can help anyone that plans to do this mod in the future. Overall, I am very happy with how it turned out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts