Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put new tires on stock rims of 2017 grizzly eps. 26x9x12 on front 26x10x12 on rear. Is that a good tire with stock rims for minimal power loss?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
No. There is much better tires out there for the same money.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Mudlites are nicknamed "Plug lites"
They don't get much love around any forums I've been on.
I personally owned them and didn't get a flat.. They were less than stellar performers, but did ok. They measure short and mine shook bad at speeds over 30mph.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
I had horrible experiences with 2 different sets of plug lites. I would have been ok with plugs but it was the weak ass sidewalls that kept blowing out on mine. They may have improved them by now but I will never buy another set.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
The mudlite XTR is a solid tire. It handles the trail reasonably well and does mud okay. Stay away from anything else that says Mudlite!! What kind of riding are you looking to do primarily?

And low end power loss is not an issue you can't get past around here. There are simple and inexpensive clutch mods that will get you your low end back from larger tires.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
The fast wearing, puncture prone reputation of the Mudlite and Mudlite XL was cured by approximately 2012. This is the point when ITP started using the same extended wear rubber compound used in the famed ITP 589 tire (a tire known to last forever and take serious abuse).
This rubber compound fixed the issues of reliability with the Mudlite. Unfortunately, this could not fix the performance aspect of the Mudlite. Simply put, the Mudlite just does not perform well. The XL version looks more aggressive than it actually is. And once the small tread dimple wears off, and the lugs get slightly rounded, the performance and grip drops drastically even more.

To put it simply, there are much better tires out there for the money.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Just to add to what everyone else have said,
I have a few friends / coworkers who either have ran or are currently running mudlite Xls on their machines and all have commented on the disappointing, lackluster performance.

I have Mudlite XTRs and I really like them. Good, long lasting, general purpose tire. My only negative observation with them is with winter riding. If the snow conditions are soft, fluffy or slushy, they really don't track straight and true as other tires mite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts