Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2015 grizzly 700 SE and I am only 11 miles away from finishing the break in point. Today I was able to take her out for a 50 mile ride and I noticed that both the rear axles have some play where they go into the final. So I come home and unload grizz off truck and pull it into shed and I check the front axles. They also have play. How can all 4 be wobbling already. They aren't bad... only 1/8 maybe. Here is where it gets confusing.... When in park you can rock the grizz forward and backwards a little before the wheels lock...totally normal. I noticed that when I push the quad forward and reverse and hold the weight of the grizz onto that lock point that the play in axles go away. If you push it forward or reverse and stop it and hold it there before it reaches that lock point you have play in the axles. How can that be? If the axle splines were worn it would always wobble. If the diff bearings were bad again...always wobble. It is just how the grizz is geared. I couldn't really find anything useful doing a site search so I am asking....especially since I am new to grizzlies.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Normal. The axles do not ride in bearings in either diff. They ride in the carrier that rides in bearings. Play between the male and female splines causes the small amount of play (wobble).

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Normal. The axles do not ride in bearings in either diff. They ride in the carrier that rides in bearings. Play between the male and female splines causes the small amount of play (wobble).
x2. Perfectly normal play. Ride on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My 2013 must be an exception. I had it jacked up and i found no appreciable play. So i checked axle play with a dial indicator. .035 to .046 on all axles. I have 1357 miles on it. Far cry from 1/8 inch he is getting.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
My 2013 must be an exception. I had it jacked up and i found no appreciable play. So i checked axle play with a dial indicator. .035 to .046 on all axles. I have 1357 miles on it. Far cry from 1/8 inch he is getting.
Your bike is also a 2013 model....not a 2015 model like the op is asking about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 2013 must be an exception. I had it jacked up. . .

I'm assuming the atv was completely off the ground since you said jacked up. Try setting it back on four wheels and check it for play again. May make a difference.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is up and down play. I was thinking it was normal, especially once the slack is taken up from pushing quad forward and backward while in park everything is nice and tight. Worn bearings and worn splines would always be an issue even with the slack taken up. Thanks for your input. Love the quad so far and doing the break in oil change tomorrow!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm assuming the atv was completely off the ground since you said jacked up. Try setting it back on four wheels and check it for play again. May make a difference.
That would accomplish absolutely nothing. Shaking the tire with the wheel on the ground and the leverage of that tire will take into account any play in the CV joints, suspension and axle. I removed the tire and measured the up/down axle play at the flange.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That would accomplish absolutely nothing. Shaking the tire with the wheel on the ground and the leverage of that tire will take into account any play in the CV joints, suspension and axle. I removed the tire and measured the up/down axle play at the flange.
If you measured close to the diff, I'm thinking maybe he was looking at the end of the cup where the boot clamps on. I'm a machinist and it seems pretty common for people to perceive .04-.05 as .100+, I even catch myself sometimes and it's all I deal with 60+ hrs a week. Thanks for throwing an indicator on it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed a little bit of in and out play on the front left axle today after I got done riding. Again...normal?

Sorry..I may be a bit paranoid. Thats because I came from the polaris world.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I noticed a little bit of in and out play on the front left axle today after I got done riding. Again...normal?

Sorry..I may be a bit paranoid. Thats because I came from the polaris world.
Normal

Another thing you will be wondering about if you haven't already asked. When you have the front end jacked up in the air and you rotate the left front tire by hand it will rotate smoothly with little to no noise. When you rotate the right front tire by hand it will make a noise and feel somewhat like when a car drives over a washboard type gravel road if that makes since; this is normal, too.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Your bike is also a 2013 model....not a 2015 model like the op is asking about.
I feel it is normal across the board.
My 05, 11, 13 all have the same play. Without any seal leaking.
Splines must have some draft to work properly.
When these guys are jamming and holding the machine against something it is tightening the splines together on one side. It removes the wiggle.
Try this put a 1/2" nut on a 1/2" bolt, thread it on half way, the nut will wiggle on the threads, now tighten the nut against the bolt head, the wiggle is gone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Normal

Another thing you will be wondering about if you haven't already asked. When you have the front end jacked up in the air and you rotate the left front tire by hand it will rotate smoothly with little to no noise. When you rotate the right front tire by hand it will make a noise and feel somewhat like when a car drives over a washboard type gravel road if that makes since; this is normal, too.
Yeah, I am aware of this. I haven't jacked it up yet but I read about it on another post. Thanks for the info though. :peace:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts