Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong spot. I’m pretty good at buying 4x4’s but im stuck on this one. It’s in New England, USA. 2007 660 Blue with 450 miles, 67 hours, sti tires and otherwise stock. There is no cert of origin with it, just a bill of sale. Private seller and his rock bottom price is 4300. Book value on nada is $3535 high end, but those aren’t very reliable. KBB book value is $3800. Bike looks nice and is owned by a hunter. He won’t budge but I don’t want to pay more than 4000 for it. Seems we’re at an impasse. I feel like I am talking myself into buying this when I really don’t want to spend over 4000 for a 10 year old machine without a cert of origin. I don’t think it’s stolen, it’s just that they are easier to sell and have more value with a cert included. Anyway, what are your thoughts on the price of this machine? I need some netrual opinions. I could get a king quad for a little less and also could get a 2016 base model Kodiak 700 with 10 hours on it for 5100. That’s 9 years newer and 50 hours younger but has no frills and is not exciting. Anyway, I’m rambling. Thoughts? Thanks !

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I'd be in the same boat. That's crazy low hours and miles for such an old bike. I'd be concerned with problems from it possibly sitting long periods of time. But, if it fires right up and rides good then that's a great thing.
But at the same time I agree that seems high for such and old at regardless. Seems like you could get a pretty decent newer 700 for not much more than that. I couldn't think to pay over 4k for it.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
First, it’s a 2007 likely sold in 2006 and we’re about to be in 2018. So, now it’s like an 11 1/2ish year old bike. Second, no paperwork is a red flag. Don’t assume anything. Who knows if this guy bought it without any paperwork regardless of what he says. It could be stolen and he doesn’t know. Find out from your local police or sheriff’s office what you need to do to have a VIN checked and check it before you even consider doing business with this guy. And I mean verify the VIN on the machine. Don’t take this guy’s word for it. Third, listen to your gut. It sounds to me like yours is telling your to run from this deal. I’ve had that feeling about a machine before and was damn glad I listened. The right deal will come along. Just be patient.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just for reference, I know this was a smoking deal but I picked up a mint 16 grizzly standard green 63 hrs 4xx miles for $5000 cash. This guy was a Motocross guy & super meticulous about detailing and already on its 3rd oil change. I'm quite sure you can find better deals out there with people that aren't trying to value their bike way over market. Good luck in your decision, personally I would steer clear.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Just for reference, I know this was a smoking deal but I picked up a mint 16 grizzly standard green 63 hrs 4xx miles for $5000 cash. This guy was a Motocross guy & super meticulous about detailing and already on its 3rd oil change. I'm quite sure you can find better deals out there with people that aren't trying to value their bike way over market. Good luck in your decision, personally I would steer clear.
That is a smoking deal!!!!
Congradulations!

Reactions: JoshBAR

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
I’d almost feel guilty about that one!... Almost.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
Holly Cow, $5K for a 2016 Griz is amazing and coming from a 300 cc machine :)

Here in Colorado to get the OHV sticker nowadays it takes a title and/or bill of sale, when you go to get the sticker they will require a VIN number, if the machine is reported stolen it would likely initiate a contact by LEO. Every vehicle I have ever sold came with a folder of original purchase, receipts, manuals, etc..I would expect the same from buying a used machine.

That is too much for 07 is my opinon, think of it this way, you will be selling it one day to get EPS and a 700 + and what will the future value be?
Keep and eye out and you will find what is in your budget. J

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
The lack of paperwork is a red flag for more than just legal reasons, although those are good ones. I might wonder if the VIN and the engine serial numbers match or if stuff has been swapped.

Just because the mileage on the pod is low doesn't mean that's what the bike has actually gone through. My Honda scooter has a busted speedo cable. Its mileage has not been counting up for about a year now, after I replaced that speedo cable and it broke again 3 months later.

A difference of $300 for a NICE machine you really want is a no brainer - just buy the thing and forget the $300 eventually. But if there are other reasons for concern, time to walk away.

A '16 Grizzly for $5k sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true. Not calling anyone a liar, just wondering the history on that machine. I wonder if the dealer told the next buyer of my '16 Grizzly that it required a top end rebuild?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I feel like I am talking myself into buying this when I really don’t want to spend over 4000 for a 10 year old machine without a cert of origin.
Tough call. I just bought a used 08 700 grizz with 2050 miles on it (non EPS) for $3900. I wanted EPS but was in a hurry and felt rushed. I had pretty bad buyer's remorse the first few days. Then I looked at the situation and realized I had gotten $350 worth of front and rear storage rack with a back seat. I felt a little better about it. Now I'm OK with it. I wish I had walked away just because I didn't get what I really wanted, but really I got an OK deal. Not a great deal. I didn't get soaked, but I didn't steal it.
This guy's price for the machine you are looking at is actually pretty reasonable from what shopping I actually did do. Grizz with low miles under $4K are kind of rare. Age is really not a huge factor IMO. Sounds like some of the newer machines have some kinks that need to be worked out.
However, as others have said, if his paperwork is not in order, that changes things a bit.
If you have to convince yourself this is what you want in a purchase, that might be telling you something too. From what I know now, I would recommend you wait and get an 09 700 with EPS. It will probably have higher miles/hrs for your price range, but it will be a better set up overall. This does sound like a good machine for a good price tag except for the paperwork... which is kind of a big deal. Just my $.02

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, I almost think we have to take your deal out of the equation. That's almost sick. You know when they run stats you're supposed to take out the highest and lowest variable out of the equation before you run your equation, I'd say your the lowest by far. You don't count. In fact, I'm going to forget I ever read this so I can feel even OK about my deal. La, la, la I'm not listening...

Reactions: Scoundrel

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm in Canada so I converted everything to South of the border standard for easier comparison.

Got my 2009 550 Eps SE on my birthday February 2017. Baught it for 4125 US$ with 3000 miles, and 210hrs. It came loaded with everything in my Signature ( Very well equipped) plus mounted gun case and large semi solid front cargo case, minus the clutch mods and gold plugs.

My only wish is that It was a 700. Even though I regularly drive my buddy's 2009 700 and he drives mine and both of us agree the difference is minimal. I still have that weird bigger is better complex. It's all in my head.

The reality is I got a great deal on beautiful , clean, luxurious, solid and streigh machine. So I really have zero reason to complain. Even better is after 10 months and 1800 miles later she's still reliable as hell and running strong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My deal was an anomaly. One of my friends bought it new and had an idea to use it solely for maintaining his motocross track. It really didn't fit his needs as he thought it would after he bought a tractor. His asking price was 6k but sent me and another friend the offer just to move it quickly to reinvest back into his track. As y'all are aware that was too good to pass up.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Red flags , high price , bad gut feeling I think you answered your own question already.

Reactions: okbear

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
What part of new england ? I live in maine. If it close i can always do some recon lol there is alot of good deals on craigslist but in maine 4k is the going price for 660's and some higher miles 700's. I scored big with my grizz and dont regret payin a bit more it had 700 miles on it just cracked 1000 in 4 yrs. But maybe make a few times to see a few grizzlys and go from there but the guys here are great an will guide u right best forum and best source of info . Gl on ur search

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hey folks, sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong spot. I’m pretty good at buying 4x4’s but im stuck on this one. It’s in New England, USA. 2007 660 Blue with 450 miles, 67 hours, sti tires and otherwise stock. There is no cert of origin with it, just a bill of sale. Private seller and his rock bottom price is 4300. Book value on nada is $3535 high end, but those aren’t very reliable. KBB book value is $3800. Bike looks nice and is owned by a hunter. He won’t budge but I don’t want to pay more than 4000 for it. Seems we’re at an impasse. I feel like I am talking myself into buying this when I really don’t want to spend over 4000 for a 10 year old machine without a cert of origin. I don’t think it’s stolen, it’s just that they are easier to sell and have more value with a cert included. Anyway, what are your thoughts on the price of this machine? I need some netrual opinions. I could get a king quad for a little less and also could get a 2016 base model Kodiak 700 with 10 hours on it for 5100. That’s 9 years newer and 50 hours younger but has no frills and is not exciting. Anyway, I’m rambling. Thoughts? Thanks !
I agree with the guys and red flags. Keep looking, get what you really want, and make sure everything is above board. I am seeing older 700 grizzlies, with EPS, with paperwork, very low miles/hours, in the $4800 to $5100 range. I think a guy could get a 07 to 08 for $4500 if he was a good negotiator then do the stator upgrade and have an awesome machine for under $5000. If I had known about the stator issue when I bought mine, I would have made a lower offer, and I bet the dealer would have taken it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts