Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats up, got the grizzly out on a trail ride the other day,the bike worked flawlessly all day, BUT THEN...... on the way back we encountered a long mud hole the water was about 3/4 of the way up the tires, but i know it had a soft bottom cause i have been through there lots of times when its dry and its always just a mudslick, so being just me and the girlfriend i decided to play it safe and use the 4x4 and put the diff lock on, so i put it in diff lock at the edge of the mud, as soon as i started into the mud not even hardly into it the bike started to sputter like it was gonna die, but then i just kept on the throttle and it rallied around and powered through it never did that again but i was just wondering why it did that

the only think i can think of is that i didnt put it in low when i locked the diff, would that be the problem?

·
Vendor
715 Posts
It shouldn't matter if you're in low or high when you engage the diff lock. Are you sure the diff lock actually locked in (solid red light on) before you gave it gas and started through the mud? Sometimes you have to roll forward or backwards a bit (not under alot of power)to get it to engage completely. If you're going through mud or putting a load on the bike and try to go to diff lock without stopping it may or may not engage fully until you stop and ease up on it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
On the left side of the handle bars there is a button thats reads override. Hold this button in and problem will be solved. There is a limiter that kicks in when in diff lock for safety because it is difficult to steer while in diff lock. That button will override the limiter.

And x2 on what oleblue22 said.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
I bet the diff lock never locked as you rallied on the gas. If you would have momentarily let off the gas I bet it would have locked as long as that one unlocked wheel was turning the same speed as the others.
Its a touchy thing, all the tires need to be turning the same speed for everything to line up and lock.
It never fails that when someone else is around a small problem shows up.
Next time out for practice, push the button and roll forward a few inches and watch what happens. Or if you are up against and obstacle and it won't lock back up few inches to see what happens.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so its not something to be overly worried about then, thanks for the replies guys, just new to this set up and wanna make sure everything's good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also try wiggling your handle bars back and forth, if ur still having issues just look at oleblue22's web page 501parts.com it was a MAJOR help when the stealership screwed me over, i watched his vids and read up on his page and was able to get it fixed my self.

Best of luck man

Reactions: scottyo947

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Might have been steam from water hitting the exhaust and getting in the intake , mine does that sometimes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Might have been steam from water hitting the exhaust and getting in the intake , mine does that sometimes.
actually there was alot of steam, so much that i pulled over and shut it off to make sure it wasnt on fire, it smelled like something was burning, ive never had a bike steam that bad from getting it wet, and it all seemed to come out the front

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
actually there was alot of steam, so much that i pulled over and shut it off to make sure it wasnt on fire, it smelled like something was burning, ive never had a bike steam that bad from getting it wet, and it all seemed to come out the front
common thing with the grizzlys... intake is in a spot where steam will occasionally stall the motor. only cure is snorkles or putting holes in the air box lid and covering them with "outerwears" or something like that.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Sounds like you needed more cold water,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts