Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new toy, the previous owner moved the battery from under the hood to the rear seat. Ive searched for days and cant find anyone with my issue. Ive replaced the starter relay and that's not the issue, the relay buzzes occasionally but most of the time I can get it to crank, I have good spark and fuel but it wont fire up, and if it does it will idle for a few minutes then die and wont start back up. When I do crank, the Pod seems to reset like if I were to turn the key off and turn it back on im thinking that's my problem. Should I start by searching grounds and re grounding everything? It has a HMF swamp exhaust with a Power Commander 5. Battery is new as well

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep check all grounds, clean and tight. Did he extend the cables or run new one's? grab a new plug also.
Yup put a new plug in and changed the gas out. It started up and then died maybe 45 seconds later and hasn't started since. Has anyone ever heard of the pod going blank while cranking and then coming back up?
Also he put longer cables on from what I can tell. The positive runs straight to the starter relay, I just don't understand it ran great at his house and then died as soon as I got it off the truck. I'm trying to get this thing ready for muddy bottoms this weekend...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Load test your batt. And check all connections TWICE!!. Make sure You have the correct spark plug NGK only. He may have had the battery on a hot charge before you picked it up. look for a voltage draw. a winch will short out if its been neglected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Load test your batt. And check all connections TWICE!!. Make sure You have the correct spark plug NGK only. He may have had the battery on a hot charge before you picked it up. look for a voltage draw. a winch will short out if its been neglected.
Yea bought a new ngk plug and the battery is new I left it at the shop over night and they put it on a desulf(???) charge over night battery held up well. I'll put a load test on it tonight

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Check the plug after turning the engine over to see if its wet or dry.

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Gas and air so not enough spark?
I've helped several local buddys that could see spark, but the grizz wouldn't start. A new plug would do it. But if there's a new plug I would check the valve lash before trying anything else. I set valves to the fat side of the range. The valves may not be fully closed as the piston goes over the top.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
I would adjust the valves. I recently had a similar problem with my 700. It was throwing a bad coil code. That was from cranking with the plug out checking the spark. It was the intakes valves tightened up.

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
weird thing is He said it ran great when He picked it up? Maybe water in the gas?
So I wound up just dropping the bike off at Rock power sports in bossier city Louisiana and it turns out the battery cables that the previous owner used to relocate the battery were just jumper cables cut to size, the other thing is my power commander was just dumping fuel, they hooked it back up to the stock computer or whatever and it fires right up runs great. Now I just need something to tune with since I have a slip on I don't want to lean out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad You got it figured out. All the power adders are cool but. I like to go out hit the starter button and go riding. For that reason all I have done is some proven clutching, a 2R tip and POD mod. No issue's since 2009.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
So I wound up just dropping the bike off at Rock power sports in bossier city Louisiana and it turns out the battery cables that the previous owner used to relocate the battery were just jumper cables cut to size, the other thing is my power commander was just dumping fuel, they hooked it back up to the stock computer or whatever and it fires right up runs great. Now I just need something to tune with since I have a slip on I don't want to lean out.
Thanks for the fix report.:banana:
It is best to give all the info possible when posting a problem.
The jumper cables would have drawn a lot of attention.
Is the PC5 junk or?? With the Grizz being snorkel I doubt that you need to worry about running lean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts