Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Went for a ride with the Wifey and all of the sudden the grizzly just died. Took about 2 attempt to restart and then worked fine . Has this happened to anyone else before ?

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
Low on gas?

Reactions: Patroller

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
What machine ??
Check & clean the kill switch.

Reactions: Patroller

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
Then it could have been boiling gas in the tank.

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
The 660 has the tank above the engine and boiling causes bubbles that affect gas flow, I know :)
I use low gear to keep the engine r.p.m.'s up and added copper tubing in the upper radiator hose as a heat shrink to lower the engine temp.
If it does it again look in the bottom of the tank to see bubbles. Mine did this going very slow (lugging the engine) in low places with no breeze

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
221 Posts
The 660 has the tank above the engine and boiling causes bubbles that affect gas flow, I know :)
I use low gear to keep the engine r.p.m.'s up and added copper tubing in the upper radiator hose as a heat shrink to lower the engine temp.
If it does it again look in the bottom of the tank to see bubbles. Mine did this going very slow (lugging the engine) in low places with no breeze
Anyone ever thought of putting a thing heat shield between the tank and motor or is there just no room.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Anyone ever thought of putting a thing heat shield between the tank and motor or is there just no room.
There is a liner under the tank but some 660 guys have insulated between the tank and the engine with good results.
The fuel line needs to be insulated and secured away from the hot spots. Good low octane summer gas helps.

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
Low octane gas is best and....
I didn't try adding some small insulating produce under the gas tank, once I saw how tight that area was I decided to get rid of the top end heat another way.
If you look in the filler hole to see how slow the bubbles move in the tank you'll see it's a low temp boil, just like when watching a pan of water start to bubble so I theorize it would take much heat reduction/removal to solve the problem.
I've told members of adding copper tubing for years and may will not cut a good radiator hose to install the stiff wall tubing and add a couple hose clamps.
If you get the engine hot to feel the top radiator hose its not that hot, its not a good heat shrink so passes the heat to the radiator and due to the radiator size a lot of heat goes back to the engine.
With tubing installed, about 6"s of the hose removed before the radiator, the tubing is letting a lot of heat escape before the coolant gets to the radiator, it will blister your finger as fast as a hot branding iron so now the radiator has less heat to transfer so cooler coolant is returned to the engine.
I Think this keeps the top end slightly cooler as I haven't seen boiling gas in the tank after installing the copper tubing.
OK I cut a good hose and had to buy 2 hose clamps, it was worth a try and this can be done on the newer 550's and 700's.

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
Thank you rigidway81432,
So the mention of low octane gas is new to me but it would also depend on the level , may i ask what you all use , i usually only use 91 or higher
In Colorado (at elevation) we have 85 octane which is all any of my gas engines get, and 99% of all stations only offer gas with corn.
The Griz engine is a low compression engine and doesn't need (or want) gas with a detonation inhibitor which higher octane gas contains for high compression engines.
Gas with corn attracts moisture so those in humid climates might think about additives or keeping the tank low between rides. I also start the engine regularly, let it idle until the engine is hot every week or so.
With carb engines the petcock is nice, you guys with e.f.i. need to be careful.

Reactions: christinkler01

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So went for another ride yesterday but did get suck lol 2h later the quad didn't want to start in gear or in park. It would start and when i touch the clutch lever it would die ? Any idea what may cause this to happen??

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
So went for another ride yesterday but did get suck lol 2h later the quad didn't want to start in gear or in park. It would start and when i touch the clutch lever it would die ? Any idea what may cause this to happen??
Before writing with assistance let me remind all newer members to add a signature to your account listing your machine, looking back through all thread posts to find the one single post listing critical information on your individual machine takes time and sucks for those wanting to help you.

I think this '05' 660 needs a full tune-up including adjusting the valve lash. It does start, so there's not toooo much wrong, but these engines are very sensitive to small problems.
I think your compression is down causing incomplete fuel burn which fouls the plug. As the idle needs to be at the lowest engine r.p.m. so the primary does not turn to shift the trans into gear, you may have the idle too high so when shifting the machine jumps killing the engine.
As for the start in gear, get the engine tuned up then we can focus on the shifter problem.

Reactions: christinkler01
1 - 17 of 17 Posts