Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My screw up was letting my wife drive my Grizzly. After she rode it for a hour I spent the rest of that day and all the next on her Honda Rancher 420. Talk about a let down!!! That thing is great for someone but not me and coming off a Grizzly going to that was a Major let down. Its a nice little quad and all but now she wont quite talking about how good the Grizzly rides & handles and she wants a Kodiak 700 EPS (Only because its more of the same size as her Honda). Anybody looking for a low mileage 17 Honda Rancher 4X4??? lol. I already no I will be digging the wallet out. My plans was to dig the wallet out and get a set of Elka's but I guess I can kiss those good bye till next year.

·
Premium Member
7,383 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
At least your wife likes to ride with you there could be worse problems....good luck on the bear shopping.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least your wife likes to ride with you there could be worse problems....good luck on the bear shopping.

Thanks and I agree. She actually likes it a lot.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve got a Kodiak 700 se and actually think our 11’ Rancher 420AT/IRS rides better and handles a bit better. The stock shocks on the Kodiak are overly stiff IMO, but that’s what Yamaha wanted out of it, a cheaper work oriented Grizzly. Heck, if Honda actually put a 50hp engine in the 420 chassis I probably would have purchased that instead of my Kodiak.

·
Premium Member
7,383 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Understandable...You do know that the rancher is the size of a 450 griz...correct.
Very true. When we purchased the Rancher in 2013, Yamaha was still using a carburetor on the 450 Grizzly. We ride a fair amount at high altitude, fuel injection was a must in my mind.

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Get her a Grizzly or you may end up riding a Kodi.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went looking yesterday at two different Yamaha/Honda dealers with in a hour of our home. I had the salesman at both places put a Honda Rancher IRS next to a Kodiak 450 next to a Kodiak 700. The Kodiak 450 is basically the same size as the Honda and the 700 is a little bit bigger. My wife dont care if its a 450 or a 700 but wants the IRS, auto shift, and power steering. I did a Google search and there is a video of the Kodiak 450's top speed on YouTube. Top speed was 50 MPH and the Ranchers top speed is 50 MPH so they are apples to apples. One thing I notice when we were on vacation was the Honda ranchers front tires wheel offset is set up so the outside of the front tires are narrower than the rear tires. I forgotten to take a tape measure but by the looks of it the racnhers front tires are inboard about 1-1/2" per side. The kodiak 450 was about 1/2" per side and the 700 looked even. I also noticed on the rancher the front fenders are about 1-1/2" narrower per side than the rear finders and is probable why my wife is brushing tree's with the rear fenders on her rancher. The way the fenders are on the rancher leads you to believe you have a couple inch's of clearance between tree's where you actually dont. I also noticed the kodiak 450's rear tires stick out past the rear fenders by about 1/2" on each side. That would save fender rubbing but may lead to other problems if bounced off a tree enough and I dont think my wife would like having her back covered in mud at every water hole we come across.

Speaking of water holes. When we were are on vacation we got caught out in a thunder storm about a hour from our cabin. We stopped and waited the thunder storm out but then it turned into a total down pour. After 45 minutes of this we said screw it and took off for our cabin. We did not have any rain gear with us so we were totally soaked. About half way back there was a water hole about a 100ft long and I new it would be around a foot deep. I said screw it and poured the throttle on. I bet I had water flying 10ft high as I powered through the water hole. I wish I would have had a Gopro as it looked very cool from the driver seat. I was like a little kid playing in a water hole. It was fun and the water felt warm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get her a Grizzly or you may end up riding a Kodi.

Really depends on how tall the Wife is, we ended up with our 420AT because my wife, at 5' 3", didn't fit the Grizzly 550 well at all. She was basically standing while sitting on the seat and we wanted another ATV with EFI so the 450 was out of the question. It's still that way today, Yamaha only lowered the Saddle height about 2" on the Kodiak 700 but it makes a huge difference in "fit" for my wife compared to the Grizzly. The Kodiak 700 is very close to the same smallish "feel" as the Rancher and Kodiak 450 have.

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
I replied get her a grizzly because it is 'his' grizzly that 'she' rode which started this thread. He said she loved it, so why not get her a nice ride?
Zrt 1200 will make sure she tests all available models, and time will tell if he lets her decide which is best.
Hell....the worst that can happen is he spends quality time outdoors with her and if she picks the wrong bike, she can trade it in for an upgrade.

10 years ago I went through a similar trip with my grizz, with a girl friend on a trip out to Moab. We rode a couple days two-up and she loved the experience and the new places the grizz let us explore together, then on the 3 day of a 4 day trip we moved camp away from the 'big' canyon country to a place behind the La Salle mountains on the Utah/Colorado line.
For two days she never said a word about driving or asked a question on how to operate the grizz, but when I unloaded the grizz at the new camp she asked if I thought she would be able to drive it. As in, if she got one was she strong enough to ride with me? (she also used 'The Look', and as I didn't give a shit about the bike and was not about to get trapped in a choice between which I liked most, her 'or' the grizz, I told her to find out for herself after I gave her a little ground school on what she needed to know.)
I the grizz was down a couple gallons when she took off from camp, oh...and before she took off I told her it would be a good idea for er to let me know if she found a new trail, and was ground to explore it, for her to come back and let me know in which direction to hunt for her if she was not back on a determined time. She looked at me funny so I said, in case the she crashed it and was stuck under it. I let her know she could have a lot of fun, but just in case....
Anyway, she hit the key and 'eased' out of camp onto the dirt country road and in 30 seconds was out of ear shout. Oh, there was a hunting season going on and about the time she left camp the first time another rig pulled in near-by with a couple. I went to get another beer and a chair to sit and wait, and the new lady to camp said she was impressed a woman could ride an A.T.V....so I told her what was going on.
I was down a 1/2 of that beer when off in the distance the purr of a 660 was getting loader, until there was the streak of a 'Fast Green' 660 going by the camp entrance then sound faded away.
I got another beer from the cooler and that new lady asked again, 'That is the first time she rode the grizz? and I said yep :)
It was another beer later the grizz came panting back to camp with it's ears laid back and a blonde in the saddle to let me know she had found a new trail she wanted to bug-out and in which direction to look if she did not come back in a while. I asked her if she had enough gas to make it out and back, and that put a different light on the subject, so I got up to give some more ground school on the fuel system and showed her how to top off the tank.
I was a few hours later when the grizz came back covered in mud and sand, with a smiling blonde in the saddle saying if she knew how to get the lights on she could have stayed out a little longer because she still had some gas in the tank.
The short of this great day in my memory is that 5'2" blonde was just fine with a big bike and a big engine, and I got to drink beer and listen to the sunset.
The next week the blonde found a stock 660 just like mine, and when we went riding she was so very proud she had the same bike as I. For a couple years after when we would unload at a trail head with others, many others, especially women would ask if she could handle the bigger bike? I could then say 'don't get in her way'.
Sorry if this sounded too romantic. If you ever get to sit in a quiet desert drinking beer and the only sound is of a Grizzly passing by until the sound fades away, with a happy 'Lady' working the loud lever, you too will have a great day. Oh, there is no way I can tell you how happy that little lady was.......

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I stated my wife rode my grizzly for two days. The only thing she did not like about it was the size and she said she is more comfortable with a smaller sized quad like her rancher. I have looked up the actual sizes of the Rancher, Kodiak 700 & 450. They are all with in a 1/2 of inch in width and seat height. So with that being said we will probable end up with a Kodiak. Which engine will be determined more by fit that engine size. My self I dont think there is enough difference between the 450 to the 700 size wise to make a difference but with her being 7" shorter than me she needs to make that decision. Handle bars can be changed if needed to make her feel more comfortable as well. From the ones I sat on the other day they all had the handlebars pushed way to far forward for her, some of them were pushed to far forward for me.

Changing the location of the handles bars is a 15 minute job tops to make someone a lot more comfortable on a bike, sled, or what ever it is. The same goes for angling the brakes and thumb lever up and down. I usually adjust stuff for her at home and then take the tools necessary with us when riding so I can make changes if needed on the first few rides. I have noticed with her I usually end up moving the throttle angle up or down once or twice to get her comfortable. Its little things like this that can make or break a day of riding (seriously who wants a sore thumb or be miserable at the end of the ride??).

·
Premium Member
7,383 Posts
My Queen is 5'0" tall. She rode a 2011 450 Griz for a number of years and 14k miles.

I didn't like the 450 I always felt it rode bad and was real twitchy on the trails. I installed Fox Podium shocks on the front and turned the toe-in. It helped but it never did ride good. Plus the engine was slung in the frame not setting on mounts so the vibration was killer.

She thought the 450 was ok until I finally got her on the 2016 Kodiak 700 she loves the Kodi. Rides way better holds the trail much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd honestly love to still have a small Honda around, for when it's the better tool for the job. This being said, cradling my fat @#$ in comfort, wouldn't be it's job.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well my wife had the day off and the next 4 days so we loaded up her Honda rancher and went to a Honda/Yamaha/Canned Ham/Polaris dealer. The salesman let us ride each of the three quads we were interested in for up to 1/2 hour each. (Kodiak 450, Kodiak 700, & A Rancher 420 IRS, EPS) After about 10-15 minutes on each quad I knew which one I would buy and I had a pretty good idea on which one my wife would like as well. I would have bought the Kodiak 700 but I figured she would like the Kodiak 450. I was correct and 4 hours after we got the dealership we were home and I unloaded a brand new 19 Kodiak 450 SE. I tried to load pics a few times tonight but they are not going through (They may be to big??) and we are leaving for a few days first thing in the morning to try this new quad out so I will update with pics if I can while we are gone or you may have to wait till we get back. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a few pics as promised.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
She will like 'her' choice..
We have a mod budget?
Put her on the line and we'll ask her :)
Does she know about Rocky Mountain A.T.V., or COOP45, E.P.I. Performance or E.H.S.?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts