Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok got the new one in not sure what brand it is got it off eBay a while back. Works fine except after Grizz starts up it still "whines" for a second. Is this a problem?
I really don't want to do this again. Not fun at all!

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Your starter clutch is hanging or not releasing like it should. That is probably what took out the first starter in the first place. Would be your best bet to replace the starter clutch as well......and only use OEM parts for this. Aftermarket parts seem to cause more issues than they fix in these instances.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Highly unlikely, but you can test it. Remove the plug wire and then try starting the engine. If the starter motor does not remain engaged when you release the button, then you know it works fine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I think it's going to be the starter clutch and bearing. If it is will it hurt it to keep using it like it is till I can get it in the shop?

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Not really going to hurt the bike. But it may damage the new starter motor you installed. Like I said earlier, that's probably what took out the starter in the first place.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to get the stock one rebuilt to put back on if the new one goes out. Worth it to me to keep using my grizz till I can get it in the shop. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This has been a nightmare! First let me say that My battery charger said I had an open cell. So I took it to autozone to get a new one. They were out and the counter guy said let us put it on our charger to make sure and we will have you a new battery by tomorrow. I go back the next day he says you good to go your old battery is fine! Great so I change out the solenoid with no luck. Next is the starter. You have to take the gas tank off to do this. I get this done and still no luck. That's it she's going to the shop to check the starter clutch. On a whim I go and buy a new battery anyways. The old one was five years old so maybe there a chance it's still the battery. Put it in and she's running like a charm now.
Uggggggg. I got in a hurry and should have done some testing on the starter and solenoid. Would have saved a lot of headache and brain cells!
I hold my head down in shame.��

1 - 8 of 8 Posts