Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Just swapped on my Warn plow rope and...

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  RedRocket 
#1 ·
... noticed that a small metal disc was pressed in to the end of the stock synthetic rope to keep it locked on the reel. I should have taken a photo but I didn’t. The disc was about 1/4 inch across and maybe 1/8 inch tall. I anticipate losing it if I ever need to swap the rope in the snow. I was going to order a few extras if they sell them to be safe. Anyone have an idea what the part would be called? I can probably find something else to replace them but I don’t mind ordering the correct part to be safe. It’s a provantage 3500s winch.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I originally used a Warn syn rope for plowing but it didn't last long. And, I really found that plug a nightmare when trying to remove the plow rope as it got stuck in there pretty good.

I ended up not replacing the syn plow rope and went with a tow strap I cut in two. I have 2 straps, since it was cut and one strap has lasted 2 plow seasons so far. I bought a tow strap that I believe was 20 ft long and the ends had gates on them so the ends would not come free of the plow when there was slack in the tow line.

#8 ·
I originally used a Warn syn rope for plowing but it didn't last long. And, I really found that plug a nightmare when trying to remove the plow rope as it got stuck in there pretty good.

I ended up not replacing the syn plow rope and went with a tow strap I cut in two. I have 2 straps, since it was cut and one strap has lasted 2 plow seasons so far. I bought a tow strap that I believe was 20 ft long and the ends had gates on them so the ends would not come free of the plow when there was slack in the tow line.

Have a photo of your set up? I considered it but wasn’t sure how to put the strap through the pulley system. I put the second warm pulley on my plow incase the plastic one breaks. I’ve used the same setup before on my 660 and the stock syn rope lasted almost all 3 seasons. This time I opened to start with the short red plow rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
Here is the thread where I describe what I did. Keep in mind, I originally used the Warn plow rope on a mid-mount 52" plow. When I switched to a 60" front mount plow, the leveraged weight increased a lot. I recall that rope didn't last past maybe 2 plow sessions before it snapped. That's when I went with the strap as can be found in this thread - http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-accessories/51210-alternative-snow-plow-strap.html

I also added the boat roller to slow the up/down action of the plow.

Pictures on the above linked thread are now attached.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.