·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kayak Video

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
@17A, that is nice! We used to have sea kayaks, I loved it. Wifey got scared once when we got caught in a little rough weather, that was it. We have small kayaks now so she can go when it is perfectly flat calm, bright sun, about 80 degrees. That happens in Maine for about 15 minutes, once a year!!! That's about how much kayaking I can get her to do. I miss it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@17A, that is nice! We used to have sea kayaks, I loved it. Wifey got scared once when we got caught in a little rough weather, that was it. We have small kayaks now so she can go when it is perfectly flat calm, bright sun, about 80 degrees. That happens in Maine for about 15 minutes, once a year!!! That's about how much kayaking I can get her to do. I miss it.
That's great. I do a couple of multi-day trips every year, usually on Georgian Bay. My boat is a Delta Seventeen. Has huge storage. If interested, see my video of how much gear I can pack into it below. This was for a four day solo trip a few years ago. Had a bear come onto my site the 1st night.

Packing a Delta 17

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
@17A, thanks for that. It really brings back some great memories! Boy does that packing up look familier. The best trip we made was out of Stonington. Plenty of room to park near the town pier. It's about a 3 mile paddle out through Merchants Row, some of the most beautiful ocean habitat anywhere all through dozens of little islands. Camp on Wheat Island, near Isle Au Haut. No light pollution, breathtaking star show at night. Wake up to the lobster boats cruising by heading out to haul traps. Paddle over to the cliffs on the back side of Swans Island, pick mussels off the seaweed hanging on the cliffs right from your boat. Paddle back to camp, boil up some of the cleanest seawater in the world and cook those fresh mussels. Oh My God...a riot of flavor in your mouth. Washed down with plenty of Maine micro-brew beer, of course! I had a Dirigo kayak, made here in Maine. It wasn't the fastest, but it handled great and was stable. I even had a sail rig on it! It would go like hell downwind! In Alaska one time wifey and I rented a HUGE triple cockpit Current Designs Skookumchuck at Miller's Landing in Seward. Paddled down to the mouth of Tonsina Creek on Resurrection Bay to salmon fish. I hooked onto a big Chum Salmon, he took off like a freight train and broke me off. I could'nt get any of the Silver's to bite to save my soul. Bastards were bumping into my legs!!!!! Illegal for non-native to snag or hand grab!!! It was awesome. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts