Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum, having some trouble getting accurate info so I thought Id ask you guys. Looking for tires for my 08 700, nothing overly aggressive...mainly a hunting machine. Really looking into the original bear claws in eitber 26x11/26x9 or 27x11/27×9...thr problem is that i cannot find a unanimous consesus on the tread depth. I know after a certain size the tread depth on this tire gets considerably deeper. Kenda tells me their "chart" says .76" tread depth for both the 26" and 27" tire...however everything i find on distributors websites say the 27s have a deeper tread than 26s...does anyone have any experience or real measurements of these tires? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
The tread depth is the same on the 26" and 27" K299's.....at least they were when I was installing them years ago.
In my opinion, get the 27" tires. They offer just a little more ground clearance and negligible weight increase. It's a all around better deal to get the 27's.

For uses you described, the Kenda Bearclaw K299 will be excellent for you. A decent all around tire. Great bang for your buck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help, does 3/4" depth sound close to what yours was new? I was leaning towards the 27s anyway, as i know k299s run small, and they are less than $50 more per set. In the past ive ran mudlites on a brute force, and had a set of bear claw htr on a rhino, but only for a short time. Never changed out the stocks on the 02 660 grizz I had. For the money, id figure id give the original bear claws a try. I like the big side lugs, hoping they will give me the lateral grip im after.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
3/4" is about right on the tread depth. If I remember correctly, the 25" and smaller sizes had 5/8" tread depth.
The K299 is much better than Mudlite, even comparing to the XL version with the 1.125" lugs. I'll take a K299 with 3/4" lugs any day over a Mudlite XL with 1.125" (1-1/8").

The Bearclaw HTR version is a better tire than the K299 in my opinion, but it is also a much more expensive tire and fairly new to the market only being available for less than 5 years....and it's a Radial to boot.

For a cheap budget tire, the K299 is hard to beat. Probably the reason why they have been available for almost 30 years now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow that long?
A lot on the tires technology changed over the years. I cannot believe these tires survived.
I bought a pair of these in 26" for my 660. Very happy with them. Way bigger than original Dunlop's I had on the machine. Good traction on the trails and water, not that good on snow.
Even in 26" it is much more difficult to control the handling of the bike on uneven and rocky terrain. A lot of feedback on the handlebars and a few times I almost got in the ditch because of handlebar jerking.
Looking into getting an aftermarket EPS for it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Love the original bearclaws,have them on the back of a 250 2wd quad runner and that goes anywhere. I have 26 inchers on my kodiak and again they do everything I want of them. Wife's kodiak will be getting a set next spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys...not sure if ill go with the 26 or 27 inch, but either way it sounds like Ill be good to go. My grizz has eps, so hopefully itll still handle decent. I know my brute force got considerably harder to handle with the mudlites...especially in 4wd...may as well forget about diff lock. Nevee thought id need eps til i bought my 700, now I wont be without it. Not like im flying down high spped trails anyhow, most of my riding now days is done at less than 10 mph...i think the k299s will be just what im looking for. While were at it, couldnt imagine it being an issue, but any clearance issues with 27 inchers?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
No clearance issues with 27's. You can fit 30's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts