Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2012 700 and it did not come with the spare key with code stamped on it. Only have primary key, the one with plastic molded "handle". Can this key be duplicated without the hassle of going to dealer with VIN, etc? I havent checked but i bet thats wayyyy more expensive than a simple physical duplication. If that is possible.... thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
you should be able to go to a decent locksmith shop and they can make some spares, they may or may not want to see the title or bill of sale but i highly doubt it. after i bought mine i went and had 2-3 spares made, just went in and said it was for my 4 wheeler and they made them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! I can only imagine how much dealer would want for it!!

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Your dealer can't actually get or order replacement keys for your bike. While the keys do have a serial number, it's useless to just about anybody......at least this is the way it was when I worked at a dealer.
The only option your dealer has is to cut a new key from blanks (and most did this by going to a key cutter) or order a complete new ignition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, i assumed the dealer thing would be more complicated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just had a spare key done up at a lock smith. Cost me $5. Took original in to copy off of.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had a spare key done up at a lock smith. Cost me $5. Took original in to copy off of.
Did you have to remove the black plastic ring/handle from the original key, to get new key cut? Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you have to remove the black plastic ring/handle from the original key, to get new key cut? Thanks!
Yes I had to remove black plastic and ring. Comes off very easy

Reactions: houfloordude
1 - 8 of 8 Posts