Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few months of procrastination, I called up Royal Distributing to get "information" on how much Pitbull tires would cost after all the taxes and shipping etc.....

Well shortly after that conversation credit card came out, and the order was placed. They should arrive either today or tomorrow. After much thought I ended up going with 26x9 and 26x11 Pitbull Growler BG 2.5.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Awesome. That's really cool for you! Of course you will need to tell us all about them... Lol. You know, maybe a long term review??? Hint hint. Enjoy the new treads! Let me know how they do in snow.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
@Vincent, sweet!!! Hey, we are only here for a little while, might as well have some fun!!! I bet those will be awesome for you. Good job!

Reactions: jvictory1974

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
I rode with one member using Growlers and several others using Rockers. Both designs worked well in sand, rocks and mud.
We don't have thick peanut butter mud on mountain trails, but on two track trails through the mountains and on the Slick Rock around Moab, these tires worked well.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I have had 2 sets of the Pit Bull Growler XOR BG 2.5 tires on 2 different quads and absolutely loved them. Excellent traction, smooth and they wear very well. Let us know your thoughts when you get them dirty.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Yup, me too... love my Growlers! Hope you enjoy them.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the supportive posts...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Awesome! Post pictures when you get them mounted up!

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
How much that weakness set you back as those are some of the pricier tires? :smile2:

Should hold up well, I've had an interest in trying them out to see what they're like but will have to live vicariously through you and others.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Congrats on the moment of weakness lol! I've heard good things about those tires.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Congrats on the moment of weakness lol! I've heard good things about those tires.
I think we all need to celebrate his moment of weakness. He will soon receive one of the best performing ATV tires on the market.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think we all need to celebrate his moment of weakness. He will soon receive one of the best performing ATV tires on the market.
Here here! Lol.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dont worry we all have moments of weakness, I ordered a new set of wheels today... It happens.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Kinda had a moment of weakness

Tires arrived on Friday. Won't lie I was surprised how bad ass aggressive Pitbull tires are! Pictures on a cell phone really don't represent them well, until you start unwrapping the black shipping plastics like a kid on Christmas and realized "Oh my! My hands look abnormally small beside these lugs!"

The advertised weight is 29lbs for 26x9, and 37 lbs for 26x11 tire. The reality is they weigh 33 and, 39 lbs. Surprising heavy for 26" 6 ply tires but they're clearly built to handle the long term abuse and punishment of a post apocalyptic world!

I'll get them mounted on my wheels tomorrow and hopefully start wearing them in this week. My poor old Mudlite XTRs sure look wimpy in comparison...

@Jeeper1st I'll post the installed heights for ya.

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Tires arrived on Friday. Won't lie I was surprised how bad ass aggressive Pitbull tires are! Pictures on a cell phone really don't represent them well, until you start unwrapping the black shipping plastics like a kid on Christmas and realized "Oh my! My hands look abnormally small beside these lugs!"

The advertised weight is 29lbs for 26x9, and 37 lbs for 26x11 tire. The reality is they weigh 33 and, 39 lbs. Surprising heavy for 26" 6 ply tires but they're clearly built to handle the long term abuse and punishment of a post apocalyptic world!

I'll get them mounted on my wheels tomorrow and hopefully start wearing them in this week. My poor old Mudlite XTRs sure look wimpy in comparison...

@Jeeper1st I'll post the installed heights for ya.
Those look super mean! Hope you have good luck with them. Of course you will post pics when they are mounted? Lol.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
You'll absolutely love the tires, I wore mine for 3,200 miles and they still have tread, however I managed to put a few too many plugs in them to feel safe on a ride where I was out in BFE. I replaced them with Bighorn OG's and I have plugs in both rears already under 1,000 miles, when they go, I'll replace with Growlers. One word of advice, the tires do no need any modifications. I didn't heed the advice and thought I would modify mine 817 miles, bad idea, ha. I replaced this tire and rode on to 3,200 miles, I do believe Dag got more the 5,000 out of his first set.
Congrats

Attachments

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You'll absolutely love the tires, I wore mine for 3,200 miles and they still have tread, however I managed to put a few too many plugs in them to feel safe on a ride where I was out in BFE. I replaced them with Bighorn OG's and I have plugs in both rears already under 1,000 miles, when they go, I'll replace with Growlers. One word of advice, the tires do no need any modifications. I didn't heed the advice and thought I would modify mine 817 miles, bad idea, ha. I replaced this tire and rode on to 3,200 miles, I do believe Dag got more the 5,000 out of his first set.
Congrats
Considering the cost of these things I hope I don't encounter any Growler "modifications" on the trails.....

Can you elaborate on some of your observations (likes/dislikes) between the Pitbull Growler and the Maxxis Bighorns?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Free standing the tires measure 27" @ 7 psi
Mounted on my SE wheels fronts weight 38lbs and rears 46lbs each.

The weight was my big concern but thankfully with my Coop45 machined sheave and an EPI Orange spring, my little 550 pulls them without any issues. Power loss if any feels minimal.

Drove 40kms of aggressive driving threw anything my winter wonderland could offer. From hardpacked snowmobile trails, frozen lakes, snow covered hills, to deep snow fields, you name it, I drove it. Only time a got stuck was in really deep snow where a hard crust held up my frame and I got hung up free wheeling. ( view photos). Thankfully 10 min of shovelling, and diff lock always got me out. Very impressive how these tires handle winter conditions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts