Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2002 Kodiak 400 that I just recently got off a friend, and It sat in his field with little to no use for 3 years. I got it home and all it needed was some gas and a battery and it fired right up. I've been riding it for a few weeks now and the other day it was running fine, reving just fine but then it just died on me when I was testing it on the side of the road after taking apart the carb. I'm new to this machine, and fourwheelers in general, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do? Because as of right now it will sit there and crank all day with not a sound from the exhaust. All I can think of doing is draining the gas tank and trying to get the carburetor off. Any advice?

·
Registered
04’ grizzly 660, 14’ grizzly 550, 04’ kodiak 450, 01’ kodiak 400
173 Posts
Sounds like you originally had spark because it was running. But you still need to confirm you haven’t lost ignition. Check the 12 volt supply connection on your coil that supplies power to you spark plug. Trace spark plug wire back to its location. Remove and reinstall the wire clip, make sure it fits snug. Then move on to fuel supply. If you have fuel make sure it’s not flooding the cylinder. If the spark plug is fuel soaked then turn off fuel valve and spin the engine over for a bit and dry off spark plug. Put it all back together and try to supply fuel by another means other than through the carb system like using a spray bottle and see if it fires off. I presume you have compression due to it running for a short period before. If you confirm spark, compression and fuel and it doesn’t try to fire off its out of time and you will need to confirm ignition timing. The crank key at the flywheel may have sheared and that is another round of diagnostics to perform. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts