Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the forums, so i'd like to say hi to everybody first. Recently I purchased an almost like new 2018 Kodiak 450 EPS with 40 hrs/700km on it. On my first ride i noticed a chirping/squealing noise coming from my right hand side, especially at very low speed. I can't hear it when i speed up but that maybe because of the motor/wind noise drowning it. I am wondering where that noise is coming from.
I have a YouTube clip of the noise. Note that I edited the audio to reduce low frequency noises so that the chirping noise is easy to hear.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It sounds like it chirps with each revolution of the wheels. You have a brake dragging slightly. You have discs in the front on your Kodiak. Check that the pads are seated properly and clean the calipers. Check the rotor for straightness.

·
Premium Member
10,662 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I don't remember hearing a chip like that before. Your video is hard to understand, and 10 seconds is not much time but I did hear a funny sound.
I would try raising it off the ground in the garage, and in gear increase the engine r.p.m.s to listen and isolate the sound.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
594 Posts
That sounds like a dry bearing to me. Have you tried jacking it up off the ground and spinning each wheel individually to see if you can duplicate the sound?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like it chirps with each revolution of the wheels. You have a brake dragging slightly. You have discs in the front on your Kodiak. Check that the pads are seated properly and clean the calipers. Check the rotor for straightness.
Well, you were right-on with your diagnosis. I tested the bike today in front of my garage and the noise was coming from the front right wheel, so I raised the bike, spin the front right wheel by hand, but heard no noise. Then i took the wheel off, removed the caliper, and lo and behold, the caliper and the brake pads were full of mud and debris. So i gave'em a good washing, mounted the caliper and the wheel. A quick test drive and the noise is gone. Took the opportunity to clean the left hand side as well. Thank you for the tip, it solved my problem.

I just have another quick question. When I looked at the brake pads, i noticed that they were really thin and almost down to the wear indicator, although probably not exatcly there yet as the squealing wasn't due to that. That surprised me as the bike currently only have 720kms on it. Do ATV brake pads wear much quicker than say car brake pads? By the way I am not only new in the forum, but also new to ATVing, so excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from Colorado.
I don't remember hearing a chip like that before. Your video is hard to understand, and 10 seconds is not much time but I did hear a funny sound.
I would try raising it off the ground in the garage, and in gear increase the engine r.p.m.s to listen and isolate the sound.
Thank you. That funny sound is now gone thanks to 2WheelATV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like a dry bearing to me. Have you tried jacking it up off the ground and spinning each wheel individually to see if you can duplicate the sound?
Turns out it was just dirt on the caliper and brake pads.

·
Premium Member
10,662 Posts
Those that ride in deep mud go through pads fast, now you have seen how the grit gets in there and says there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, you were right-on with your diagnosis. I tested the bike today in front of my garage and the noise was coming from the front right wheel, so I raised the bike, spin the front right wheel by hand, but heard no noise. Then i took the wheel off, removed the caliper, and lo and behold, the caliper and the brake pads were full of mud and debris. So i gave'em a good washing, mounted the caliper and the wheel. A quick test drive and the noise is gone. Took the opportunity to clean the left hand side as well. Thank you for the tip, it solved my problem.

I just have another quick question. When I looked at the brake pads, i noticed that they were really thin and almost down to the wear indicator, although probably not exatcly there yet as the squealing wasn't due to that. That surprised me as the bike currently only have 720kms on it. Do ATV brake pads wear much quicker than say car brake pads? By the way I am not only new in the forum, but also new to ATVing, so excuse my ignorance.
You have discovered mud caked in there. That's why there is premature wear. Keep them out of the mud and they last a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts