Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 kodiak 700 eps and have destroyed one rear dif break already and it just doesn’t work very well the lever is very tight and not smooth at all, any suggestions?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a 2016 kodiak 700 eps and have destroyed one rear dif break already and it just doesn’t work very well the lever is very tight and not smooth at all, any suggestions?
What did you do to it? It's pretty much bullet proof unless you used the wrong oil.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you do to it? It's pretty much bullet proof unless you used the wrong oil.

The oil seals were leaking and water got in, all the seals seem to go bad on the Yamahas we’ve got a 16 griz and a 12 griz and every seal on every dif of every machine has been replaced numerous times🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
639 Posts
The oil seals were leaking and water got in, all the seals seem to go bad on the Yamahas we’ve got a 16 griz and a 12 griz and every seal on every dif of every machine has been replaced numerous times
Hate to say it, but that sounds like installation error. Seals aren't a common issue on these bikes. If you are haveing iddues on multiple machines, there's a common factor there.

A a but of water in the diff won't destroy the kodiak brake discs in the diff, it's not good for them but it wouldn't hurt them unless it was left for a long periid of time.
You aren't using the same rear diff fluid for the kodiak as you are for the grizzlys are you? The kodiak uses friction modified oil in the rear

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hate to say it, but that sounds like installation error. Seals aren't a common issue on these bikes. If you are haveing iddues on multiple machines, there's a common factor there.

A a but of water in the diff won't destroy the kodiak brake discs in the diff, it's not good for them but it wouldn't hurt them unless it was left for a long periid of time.
You aren't using the same rear diff fluid for the kodiak as you are for the grizzlys are you? The kodiak uses friction modified oil in the rear

I’ve heard the seals are one of the main issues, I’ve installed some and had a shop install them and they all go bad from clay getting in and tearing them. I went to my local Moto shop and am using the oil they recommended, same for all machines. And when we tore down the diff the clutches were all completely destroyed

·
Registered
639 Posts
I’ve heard the seals are one of the main issues, I’ve installed some and had a shop install them and they all go bad from clay getting in and tearing them. I went to my local Moto shop and am using the oil they recommended, same for all machines. And when we tore down the diff the clutches were all completely destroyed
You have definitely heard incorrect information on the seals. If installed correctly, clay should not hurt them, granular mud can eventually wear them, but it takes alot.

Definitely sounds like your issue was your diff fluid. It's not the sand for all bikes. The kodiak can not use regular diff oil in the rear, but you can use the friction modified oil in the grizzly with no harm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have definitely heard incorrect information on the seals. If installed correctly, clay should not hurt them, granular mud can eventually wear them, but it takes alot.

Definitely sounds like your issue was your diff fluid. It's not the sand for all bikes. The kodiak can not use regular diff oil in the rear, but you can use the friction modified oil in the grizzly with no harm.

Idk I’ve shredded countless seals, guess they just can’t handle me 😂 only other issue I’ve had is stock radiators, popped 3 of them then switched to an oversized aluminum one, I’m kinda hard on things ig😂. So what dif fluid should I be running?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Idk I’ve shredded countless seals, guess they just can’t handle me only other issue I’ve had is stock radiators, popped 3 of them then switched to an oversized aluminum one, I’m kinda hard on things ig. So what dif fluid should I be running?
You need a friction modified fluid, like you would use in a limited slip rear end in a truck. It has to be safe for the friction clutch pack. The rear brake is essentially the same as a clutch pack style lsd.
If you use the yamalube, it doesn't take much, you can use it in the front diff too, it won't hurt. It's not that expensive.
I usually try to find cheaper bulk compatible fluids, but the bottle of yamalube was like $8 cbd enough to do my front and rear diff twice with a bit left.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Ok I’ll look into that, I’ve got er dialed right in putting out some solid power at this point and that’s the one thing I’m just not happy with, you should go check out my page on insta, see some of what I’ve done to er. @the_big_red_kodiak

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Very odd your having seal problems. My old 09 grizzly had 9000 hard miles. Never a seal issue. Nor my 2019 @ 2500 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very odd your having seal problems. My old 09 grizzly had 9000 hard miles. Never a seal issue. Nor my 2019 @ 2500 miles.

This is what I’m currently using, would something like this other kind be right? And right now the rear brake pulls the camshaft lever but does not lock the rear tires up, would a difference in fluid make the brake not work?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
View attachment 99845 View attachment 99846
This is what I’m currently using, would something like this other kind be right? And right now the rear brake pulls the camshaft lever but does not lock the rear tires up, would a difference in fluid make the brake not work?
Don't own a Kodak and have no experience with the wet brake stuff

·
Registered
639 Posts
That belray is more of a transmission fluid, for wet clutches. That should be nowhere near your rear diff. That bottle of yamalube is the proper oik.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well I guess that might be my problem
Most likely the brake issue. You aren't the first though. I've seen a yamaha tech make that mistake. Lol

With proper oil you will notice the rest brakes grab way more, they will lock up the tires, but they aren't quite as hard of a bite as disc brakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most likely the brake issue. You aren't the first though. I've seen a yamaha tech make that mistake. Lol

With proper oil you will notice the rest brakes grab way more, they will lock up the tires, but they aren't quite as hard of a bite as disc brakes.

Okay, thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts