Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to this Forum. I have a 2005 Kodiak 400, which I have had since brand new. Last week, I noticed that the electric start was having problems. I could start with the rope, but the electric start did not work. I replaced the battery. That did not help. when I got home, I put a charger on the battery. Next day, the electric start worked.... for a couple of hours, then then it would not work again. Again, I put the battery charger on, and that helps... for a while. I am thinking that the battery is not charging. So, I've been looking around, and I find this has a rectifier/regulator. I want to check out the rectifier/regulator, to see if it is okay. However, I don't know if I know where to look. I have looked at on-line parts diagrams to find it. However, I can't find a rectifier/regulator on my ATV where the diagram says it should be. So, my first question today is...... where do I find the rectifier/regulator? What do I need to remove to find it? TIA for any help you can give.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
mkrone- not sure about the location of the rectifier but you need to check to see if the stator is working first and that's easy. Hook up a voltmeter to the battery, start it, raise RPM to 3000 or so and check voltage. It should be somewhere above 14 volts if stator is working properly. If not then that's your problem. If you have 14+ volts then the battery is being charged and then I would load test the battery to eliminate that being the problem. Generally if the regulator/rectifier is bad it will over charge and cook the battery (voltage way to high).
I'm not much of a electrician but this same thing happened to my 660 and I had to replace the stator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts